Wednesday, December 05, 2007

An Irish kind of Christmas

On the first Wednesday of every month, the California Center for the Arts in Escondido offers a free show.
Tonight it was a Celtic Christmas special.
t_a-winters-carol
It was fun.

It was just good old-fashioned fun by a group of really nice, interesting people.

Music was provided by harper Maureen Brennan(meaning an old-style harp versus the newer and larger harps used by harpists), Kevin Carr playing penny whiste, fiddle, and Irish bagpipes, and the folk duo Men of Worth--two lads, one a Scotsman, the other and Irishman, playing a combination of banjo, mandolin, and some hand-held drums.

It was music that made the audience want to clap along, especially when two dancers treated us to our own little Riverdance.
Makes me want to learn Irish dance steps...

Several CDs were available for purchase after the show, including solo performances, and recordings by other bands the members also participate in.
I bought a CD by Wake the Dead--a Celtic version of The Grateful Dead that is absolutely fantastic!
I bought it sight unseen (or unheard, in this case) and I am so glad I did.

I also purchased a CD by the Irish pipes player, Kevin Carr.
It is a recording of story telling, and I can already tell I'll be glad for this purchase also.
Another member of tonight's band told me that when he first heard the story telling recording, he instantly purchased 20 copies for his daughter and all her classmates.
It reminds me of the old dramas you used to be able to hear on the radio.
I used to be a delivery driver, and I loved listening to the mysteries.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger mushroommeadows said...

I want to learn how to do some Irish dancing! It looks so fun. Oh...and Irish music can be so hauntingly beautiful.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Vallen said...

I love Wake the Dead and never get tired of listening to their music. Celtic Christmas music just seems so perfect.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Mizfixit said...

I can't thank you enough for bringing Wake the Dead to my attention! I've loved the Dead for years and also adore Celtic music. This is an inspired blend of both!!
Santa just got a special request for Wake the Dead :)

(Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right)

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home