Friday, November 24, 2006

Photobooth Friday, and Thanksgiving thanks

Gramps and the flask
My Gramps is on the right. I assume it's his writing in pencil on the top that says "an old Spanish custom". I have no clue what that meant, unless this photo was perhaps taken in Tijuana. My grandfather was a card. He was also a drinker. Boy the stories I could tell...
I don't know who the sailor is on the left. I assume this was around WWII.

My grandfather was my mom's stepdad, but more a father to her and a grandfather to me than was her biological father. He was a dentist in the Navy, and was on the USS Maryland when Pearl Harbor was attacked. He was never quite the same after that, but he was a darling man. He used to have funky sayings that he would sing out on a whim: "shave and a haircut, two bits", "pickle in the middle and the mustard on top", and portions of a poem "he rowed her ashore, with a broken oar, and he sold her to Dan McGrew, for a husky dog and some hot eggnog--as rascals are wont to do".
When my mom and I would visit, he would walk us out to the car, beat on the fender, and yell, "tin can...".
He was somethin' else.

He also spent time in Alaska and in Hawaii--I have photographs of a virgin landscape in Hawaii, and dancing hula girls. It was unspoiled paradise. I have pieces of wood that he carved while out at sea...bookends and trinkets.

When my grandmother passed away unexpectedly, he sold his two houses in Coronado for a song, thinking he was saving the family future hassle. It was a huge error done under duress, as the properties in that area are now far in excess of a million dollars. God I miss his cute little house.

On another note, I just wanted to mention that Thanksgiving was lovely.
Vintage Thanksgiving card
My generous hostess offered vintage Thanksgiving cards at each place setting. More than decoration, these were gifts for her guests, along with ten pounds of leftovers (seriously--it was a grocery sack-size bag of homemade delicacies). Really really wonderful. Thanks Mel. Your mom and dad are precious. Her dad walked me out to my car. I mean really, how cute is that? Far too few men have manners like that anymore. My dad used to always stand when someone entered the room. I highly value those gestures.

5 Comments:

Blogger jungle dream pagoda said...

Beautiful pic story AND vintage card!

6:36 PM  
Blogger S. said...

That photo is wonderful and the story too. Thanks for telling and showing.

7:23 PM  
Blogger FinnyKnits said...

I that stuff, too - the old fashioned type courtesies.

My husband does a lot of those things, and really, it is one of the things that first set him apart from the other guys I'd dated.

I put up a post a few weeks ago about a date we went on, where he walked me to my car afterward (we'd driven to the restaurant separately from work) and opened the door for me. Just to "make sure" I'd get there safely.

See, that is nice.

4:22 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

omg, barb-- this one is stunning, museum-worthy even. if I ever put that book together (or even start that photobooth friday blog I've been meaning to start), you're going to have to let me feature this one.

sounds like an extremely interesting man, to boot. thanks so much for the share!

6:58 AM  
Blogger Teri M. said...

What a great picture and the sentiments that go with it are lovely!

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home