Thursday, December 27, 2007

Mt. Helix

Mt Helix Cross
I haven't posted anything about San Diego in awhile, and this seems the perfect opportunity to share one of my favorite places.

I grew up at what locals refer to as "the base of Mt. Helix".
Meaning I grew up in the east county, and my parents' home was on a street at the base of that mountain.

The mountain is special, because at the peak is a concrete amphitheater,
and a cross.
Mt Helix Cross
(click on images to enlarge)

"The location now includes a wooden cross, erected in 1917 for an Easter service and an amphitheater. The cross area is now owned by the San Diego Historical Society and the amphitheater, besides providing an incredible 360-degree view of San Diego County, is a venue for weddings and community theater offerings". (source)

The cross atop Mt. Helix.
Mt Helix Cross

I like the rugged amphitheater, with lots of nooks and crannies to hang out and reflect.
I've been to sunrise services here--it's lovely.
Rugged amphitheatre at Mt Helix

It has been a spot of controversy in our politically correct climate.
The property used to be owned by San Diego County, but years of court battles about religious symbols and a conflict concerning separation between church and state engendered the city to transfer ownership, thereby saving it.
Note the controversy continues with another cross in San Diego, Mt. Soledad, despite citizens overwhelming support to retain it (including voter approval).

View of El Cajon
View of El Cajon from Mt Helix

Mt Helix Cross

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hia Barbara beautiful photos. Hope you have a fantastic New Year. Sounded lovely having a lab with you for Christmas.

11:35 PM  
Blogger kate said...

When I was in San Diego earlier this year, I saw this cross and heard about the controversy. It seemed odd to me.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home