Thursday, April 09, 2009

Holiday humor

Geez, poor neglected blog.
I've been spending more time on Facebook lately.

I had to post this bizarre Passover toy: the Bag of Plagues.

According to judaism.com, "The Passover Bag of Plagues is an interactive collection of toys to help families portray dramatic events in the Passover story in a spirit of fun and discovery. It will engage the youngest Seder participants, capturing their imaginations while encouraging them to take the first step through the desert and feel the sand between their toes.
Plagues Bag includes items representative of each of the ten plagues."


But, um, plagues as toys?
The set includes a plastic locust, a sticky hand with "boils", and fake blood.
Boy, don't you want to be at that party? Just sayin'.
Please know I am not trying to degrade religion here, only commenting on this odd form of teaching the stories.
Or do you think kids would like this?

Or, if you don't like the bag of toys, you can choose the Plagues Bowling Set.
There is also a plagues masks set, or plagues finger puppets.
Am I the only one finding this strange?

How about Matzoh Ball Bingo?
bingo
(click on image to enlarge)

To be fair, I looked for novelty Easter toys.
I found Resurrection eggs, but these actually seem fun to me.

The resurrection eggs were the only novelty Easter toy I could find, but of course there are always the prank sites.

I found some items that are fun without being (in my opinion anyway) sacrilegious
Jesus Bandages
(how cool would these be as basket fillers or Christmas stocking stuffers?!)

Jeez-its Sticky Notes


Holy Toast
stamper makes a Heavenly breakfast (come on now--you have to admit that's funny)

Other items include Huggy Jesus, Jesus action figure, Jesus saves bank, Jesus shaves mug
There are lots more prank toys and tee shirts (some less politically correct than others).

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Ok - the bowling set is too cute for words. Odd, yes, but to think plague #6, boils, could be so happy would make my Passover complete.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

And I always thought Americans took their religion seriously! It's a wonder some of those things haven't made their way over here. Aussies can be very politically incorrect at times, and I suspect these would be chuckled over at many dinner tables!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I actually have the toast stamp! I love religious kitsch (and I'm a religious person)

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm getting me some Jesus Bandages...I'll bet they heal faster than the rest.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Mike - LOL LOL LOL!!! I love your comment!

7:33 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I made a table runner with fabrics depicting the 10 plagues.

With small children - anything to get them involved is a good thing. Even if it is tacky...

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home