Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Museli Recipe


One of the things I find helpful with having a blog, is I can post recipes that I want to keep, and always have a way to access them.

I tried a recipe for homemade granola after hearing Lisa Ann Walter talk about it on her radio show out of Los Angeles, on KFI 640AM.
It's fabulous (just like Lisa. Her show is The Fabulous Lisa Ann Walter).
She says, "I eat it every day and it's wonderful. I never feel hungry, and it doesn't make me feel like I want to go back to bed like when I have carbs or too much fat in the a.m."

To me, granola is something held together with honey and maybe maple syrup and baked.
That's fine, but this recipe is raw, and in my opinion more of a museli.
And I loooove museli.
Nuts are loaded with nutrients and good fat, and will help you feel satiated so you don't want to reach for that quick junk food fix.

Homemade "Granola"
1 cup raw, unsalted almonds
1 cup raw, unsalted pecans
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup psyllium husk (I skipped these. I think they're kind-of a laxative thing, but I'm not sure)
1/2 cup flax seed
1/2 cup flax meal (note Trader Joes sells all of these items)
1 box high fiber cereal (also TJ's) or you can use 3-4 cups organic whole oatmeal instead of fiber cereal (I used the oatmeal)
You can also add as much/little as you want of other nuts - pistachios, pepitas, etc - it's really up to you.
I added 1/2 cup organic unsweetened coconut

Lisa suggests, "Just buy a few bags of frozen mixed berries and pour a cup or more into a bowl, nuke and then add half a cup of plain greek yogurt on top, finish with a giant handful of the granola mix."
I'm not fan of Greek yogurt, so I use Whole Milk Cream Top Vanilla yogurt by Brown Cow (sooo sad that Stonyfield farm stopped making theirs. That was the best yogurt on the market).
Sometimes I add the fruit, sometimes I add the yogurt, sometimes I add both.
Sometimes I pour milk over it and eat it like cereal.
It's a great any-time snack.

Put the mix in a zip-loc bag and keep in the fridge.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

It looks delicious.


classified ads

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home