Saturday, July 29, 2006

Recipe card swap

Kim (my partner in the apron/recipe card swap) should receive these today, so I'm going to go ahead and post.
Vinyl recipe card, front (click to enlarge)
I really wanted to have fun with the recipe part of the What's Cookin' Swap, so I made three non-traditional cards (plus sent extra recipes, written on my own regular recipe cards).
This one is vinyl, with metallic pink thread, ultra fine pink glitter, and copies from one of my vintage recipe binders. Tuna Casserole, hence the fish.
Here's the back side:
Vinyl recipe card, back

The first version of this card I backed with fabric, but after it was all done I realized I had sealed dog hair within it (oopsie. Story of my life). You can't just take out threads and re-stitch because the plastic is pierced and it's about impossible to match again. Sewing on vinyl is tricky anyway, I don't have a walking foot so I have to stitch over tissue paper or the needle will stick. This is one of those projects where one can't expect perfection. I really think this has possibilities though. I just submitted a query to Cloth Paper Scissors Magazine for an article about this--cross your fingers they accept the idea!

Other ideas for vinyl recipe cards:
*cookie recipe and float colored sugar crystals within
*cake recipe with pastel colored sprinkles within
*spanish rice recipe with rice granules and a tomato sauce or bouillon label on the back side
Get the idea? It's a recipe version of the snow globe!
Or I can see vinyl used for postcards and invitations too. Vinyl is my current obsession.

My second card is a bit more traditional...with a twist.
Recipe card on paper
This one is a stamped card but I stitched around it with metallic thread and added a fabric gingerbread man. My swap partner is more meal-oriented than dessert oriented, so instead of cookies I wrote out a recipe for Ambrosia Salad with a metallic pen that matched the thread.

I'll wait to post the third card (she hasn't received it yet). Because I was so late in sending her package, I included a package of goodies (Yoshida Teriyaki sauce, two bottles of Kim's favorite Louisiana Hot Sauce, a garlic chile sauce, Hello Kitty Strawberry Marshmallows, clear bra straps for her 'passion' side (her blog is Passion and Art), a really cool bird-shaped orange peeler, a fun kitchen scrubbie with a face on the package, and a mini dust pan and wisk broom for more kitcheny goodness.

And then I made a pouch to hold the recipe cards. I'll post about it Monday so this isn't so long-winded today.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

COOL! I love the fishy recipe card!
Good luck, that is a great idea... (& new - which is what magazines want...)

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are so cute! Such a fun and unique way to do it. :) And i LOVE Cloth Paper Scissors magazine...it would rock to see you in it!

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home