Monday, July 24, 2006

Vintage book

Beautiful Joe
I like the idea of collecting vintage children's books. I have a few--more for the illustrations or for sentimental value than anything a collector would value. This book is a hand-me-down I either got from my mom or my cousins. I'm surprised how this was one time a classic, yet now few people seem familiar with the story.
This copy was printed in 1920, but the first printing was 1893. Basically the dog version of Black Beauty--about the cruelty of cropping ears, etc. I read it once, it made a huge impact, and I was never able to read it again. But then I could never even see Old Yeller again, so I'm a total softie.
Illustration, Beautiful Joe
Children's book illustration
This is from the back of the book jacket, advertising popular children's books by Grosset and Dunlap, 1920.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Awwww = I still feel "yucky" when I see a dog with his ears taped after they have been "what ever they call what it si that they do..." (Especially when the tape is electrical.... you know that was a "home-cut.")

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really quite a find - I think it's pretty rare for a book written so long ago to be concerned with the sufferings of animals. I know the ASPCA was created at around that time - 1866 - but back then it was probably still considered an oddity.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Miss RM said...

I remember reading that book as a kid too ... I loved it but I could never read it again either! .. and I've never seen Old Yeller for similar reasons :-)

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that book years ago too! It really stuck with me and I remember having a dream that my dog at the time (a dalmation) had her ears cut off. I was quite young when I read that book so I probably didn't understand it all - but I do remember the crying and my Mother wondering what on earth I was reading.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I have read and/or have a copy of that book somewhere. But even if I didn't/don't, I'm completely with you on the re-reading/re-watching thing. There are so many good ones: Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, Ring of Bright Water. Heck, I couldn't even watch Eight Below on a recent flight, even though I knew it had a happy-ish ending. Both of our great danes have had natural ears; they're so soft and velvety that I can't imagine wanting to crop. If we ever get a puppy, I'll be keeping the ears natural.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home