Monday, July 24, 2006

Vintage book

Beautiful Joe
I like the idea of collecting vintage children's books. I have a few--more for the illustrations or for sentimental value than anything a collector would value. This book is a hand-me-down I either got from my mom or my cousins. I'm surprised how this was one time a classic, yet now few people seem familiar with the story.
This copy was printed in 1920, but the first printing was 1893. Basically the dog version of Black Beauty--about the cruelty of cropping ears, etc. I read it once, it made a huge impact, and I was never able to read it again. But then I could never even see Old Yeller again, so I'm a total softie.
Illustration, Beautiful Joe
Children's book illustration
This is from the back of the book jacket, advertising popular children's books by Grosset and Dunlap, 1920.


Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Awwww = I still feel "yucky" when I see a dog with his ears taped after they have been "what ever they call what it si that they do..." (Especially when the tape is electrical.... you know that was a "home-cut.")

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Aubrey said...

That is really quite a find - I think it's pretty rare for a book written so long ago to be concerned with the sufferings of animals. I know the ASPCA was created at around that time - 1866 - but back then it was probably still considered an oddity.

2:42 PM  
Blogger chanadaal said...

I remember reading that book as a kid too ... I loved it but I could never read it again either! .. and I've never seen Old Yeller for similar reasons :-)

7:19 PM  
Anonymous melanie said...

I read that book years ago too! It really stuck with me and I remember having a dream that my dog at the time (a dalmation) had her ears cut off. I was quite young when I read that book so I probably didn't understand it all - but I do remember the crying and my Mother wondering what on earth I was reading.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous danielle said...

I'm pretty sure I have read and/or have a copy of that book somewhere. But even if I didn't/don't, I'm completely with you on the re-reading/re-watching thing. There are so many good ones: Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, Ring of Bright Water. Heck, I couldn't even watch Eight Below on a recent flight, even though I knew it had a happy-ish ending. Both of our great danes have had natural ears; they're so soft and velvety that I can't imagine wanting to crop. If we ever get a puppy, I'll be keeping the ears natural.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home