Saturday, July 15, 2006

For the love of all things wrapped

I have always loved wrapped clothing--tops that tie on the side, sarong-like skirts, dresses that are all one piece and wrap-around. When I was in dance, I even wore wrap-around leotards. Now I'm obsessed with vintage patterns that wrap. I love this one from 1968. I can't wait to make it.
Vintage Dress Pattern, 1968

This idea, of a full piece of fabric and three arm holes, fascinates me. This pattern from 1969 is a bit too prim and proper for me, but the concept is interesting.
Vintage Wrap Dress Pattern, 1969

Here's another version of the three armhole thing. Karen tells me her mom made this for her, and it still brings on bad memories. Imagine it in thick polyester. Eeewww. Still though, it intrigues me. Maybe as a swimsuit cover-up?
Full wrap dress pattern

Here's a similar one. I bought this off ebay but haven't received it yet. I love that the one in the middle appears to be made with a towel.
towel dress

Here's what appears to be a mock version of the wrap, probably early 70's. I don't own this one, I just grabbed the photo off ebay.
Wrap Dress Pattern

14 Comments:

Blogger Patti said...

I had two of the three-armseye dresses when I was younger. I can't remember whether it was later junior high or high school. My mother made them for us as summer sundresses. They were from wonderful colorful cotton prints - long before polyester. I'm thinking probably the early 60's. They looked like the one shown on the Butterick pattern or the pattern below it that you said you bought. I loved those - so easy and comfortable to wear. I know they were cotton, because I remember ironing them!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the first one with the ruffle!

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh, but i LOVE the pink one with the ruffles! So cute! I would totally wear it! LOL! But...i am not known for my fine sense of fashion! teehee! :)
Really tho', all these patterns are wonderful! Great finds! :)

9:21 AM  
Blogger Grangry said...

I love these, I think we had real style in those days! That prim and proper one, I had something like that, but it was called a 'coat dress'!

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog through the Apron swap!
I love love love these patterns the first two I would wear to work!
I love them!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these! I have a wrap dress pattern from the 70's and some super groovy printed knit fabric set aside to make up. Very Diane Von Furstenberg, circ 1978 :D

11:01 PM  
Blogger carrster said...

My favorite is the ruffly one. Makes me want to bust out my sewing machine and get back into making clothes!

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE that first pink one. Wow, what a find!

By the way - I had some extra of the fabric I used for your apron. Not much, but certainly enough for a couple of hotpads or potholders. Would you like me to send it to you?

11:59 AM  
Blogger jungle dream pagoda said...

Omigosh, I take alittle break from the computer, and I come back to a treasure trove of everyones new postings!Those patterns rock, can't wait to see the finished product,the kitties are precious , and I especially love the pic of your mom.

12:25 PM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

I love them all. You know me and wraps!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That first one with the ruffle is great - although, I doubt I would wear it. I have a bunch of vintage patterns that I am always hoping I will make some dresses out of and then have the hippest wardrobe at the office (once I get a job that involves an office)

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, what a flash from the past. I remember making the Jiffy pattern (in terry, second from the bottom) in home ec class in 7th grade.

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are still in high fashion in some hospital gown wear! Eliminates the butt gap in the back.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Lola said...

Hi, my name is Leila and I live in Brazil. I luv this pattern, but here is no possible buy the Simplicity patterns, I try buy in internet, but no possible too.
You know one alternative for i take the patterns. If you know please, tell me!
Thank you.
Leila Saron
leila.saron@gmail.com

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home