Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Pattern Brand Awareness

Most people know that vintage patterns are sized differently from current patterns, but those of you who sew clothing may not be aware how sizes in current patterns vary from company to company. Hopefully you know to choose a pattern off your measurements versus the size you normally wear in purchased clothing. I sew a far larger size than I purchase at the mall.

One of the best pieces of advice I have gotten is from the book Power Sewing, by Sandra Betzina. You can find more details in this book (I recommend it), but the gist is this:

New Look and Style patterns: true to your measurements (go with your full bust measure)
Butterick and Vogue: true to your measurements
McCalls and Simplicity: run larger. Choose a pattern that matches your upper bust measure). I've had to choose up to two sizes smaller with this brand.
Stretch & Sew and Kwik Sew: realistic measurements
Burda: flattering European cut, also true to measurements

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss RM said...

Thanks for the tips. I know what you mean about sizing frustration. I usually use patterns that are are at least 6 sizes larger than what I would buy in the store! I'm planning on sewing a vintage early sixties suit for myself to wear to a friend's wedding in September. I imagine it'll be a sizing nightmare!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home