Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My Favorite Salsa

I live very close to the Mexican border, so it goes without saying that my taste in food is influenced with that spicy zing. Yeah, on occasion I enjoy a fresh mango salsa or a salsa cruda, but more often I prefer verde salsa--the green type with tomatillos. This is easy to make at home in your blender, and is great with chips (I like homemade flour tortilla chips), or add water and use as an enchilada sauce. This recipe is from my friend Alicia.

Tomatillo Salsa
10 tomatillos, husks removed
2 or 3 serrano chile peppers (or one habanero if you want it hotter)
1 clove garlic
Boil tomatillos in water until skins come off with a pop. Blend all ingredients in blender or food processer.
Add one chopped medium-sized onion
and about 1/2 cup chopped cilantro.


And I have to admit, my all time favorite salsa is a vinegar laden canned variety (I guess the white trash version). This is from a recipe book my mom got in the 70's. A local radio station (KFMB) used to mail these booklets out all the time. I love this so much that when it's around, I'll eat salsa burritos (as in salsa rolled up in a tortilla. I know, it's sick, but I love it so).

KFMB Salsa
1 large can solid pack tomatoes (cut up)
1 can can green ortega chile peppers (cut up)
2 bell peppers, diced
1 large onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 small glass red wine vinegar (about 1/2 cup)
Mix all ingredients together and chill. Can be used as a cold sauce on hot meats, or as a tasty dip with Fritos or corn chips).

4 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Thanks for the recipes - I like the PWT version too! But my current favorite is Trader Joes Mango salsa....

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That first recipe looks super yummy. I'm going to have to copy it down and give it a try. There is one authentic (we think) Mexican restaurant in our city that the Mister and I go to for our wedding anniversary. We always share a margarita (not big drinkers) and have fried icecream (one of my all time favourite desserts)!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Grangry said...

I make this to go with fish; cod, haddock or tuna steaks, pan fried in olive oil, seasoned with black pepper and salt, sometimes coated in flour. Fresh tomatos, any kind, chopped up with the skins on, diced onions, couple or three birdseye chillis, deseeded and chopped, virgin olive oil, splash of red wine, oregano, black pepper, salt. Heat the oil, add the onions and chillis and sweat until the onions are transparent, throw in the tomatos, cook till soft, add a splash of red wine (in my house, straight from the box! If no red wine I add balsamic vinegar)seasonings and oregano (dried or fresh). Cook for about 12 mins. Is this salsa? I don't know, but it tastes good. If it was just for ME, I would add a crushed clove of garlic with the onions. Hey, look at that Barb, you finally got a recipe out of me!

2:48 PM  
Blogger FinnyKnits said...

Yes, please. I will try this out on Hubby - our house taster. We are fans of all makes and models of salsa.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home