Monday, July 31, 2006

Handmade Recipe Pouch

Recipe Pouch(click photos to see detail)
Here's the handmade recipe pouch I made for Kim as part of the What's Cookin? swap. Kim likes pin-up girls, so I used this fun fabric that was originally a thrifted pair of pants! Varigated red white and blue thread, and red white and blue ribbon to close. I had wanted to applique the letters, but my alphabet stamps were too intricate, so the 'recipes' is blue ink I stamped on the fabric (made for fabric, so it's washable).

Back of pouch:
Recipe Pouch, back
The back side shows the cute face of the sailor girl, and the famous legs (was it Rita Hayworth? Her face curves around to the front side of the pouch).

Interior:
Recipe Pouch interior
Anchor and sail boat fabric interior. You can see the top of the recipe cards visible. Note the varigated red white and blue thread. I usually turn under seams but I experimented this time and just used a decorative stitch instead. I think I like the traditional better, but it's all a learning process, you know? In fact, I cut this out with the intention of it being a tri-fold, but the measurements were off somehow, so I folded it up and handstitched the edges closed. It works this way too, it's just not what I had envisioned.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The face looks like Rita Hayworth's, but it was Betty Grable with the legs - insured by 20th Century Fox for $1,000,000.

B., this is such a wonderful idea - why are people so clever?

4:58 PM  
Blogger FinnyKnits said...

I love this idea! My stupid recipe binder is so boring (not to mention jammed). I may have to rip your idea right off so I can use up some, ahem, scrap material I just created. Cute!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I just visited your site via Google Images which turned up the dust jacket of "Beautiful Joe". A favourite book in our household when I was a child. You are right it was once very popular. It is the first Canadian book to sell one million copies. I think our copy was originally my mothers copy. The story is based on a real dog which was abused in Meaford, Ontario, which Ms Saunders heard about. I would love to read the story again.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home