Sunday, July 24, 2005

Vintage Homemaker Book


I Want To Be A Homemaker, 1961
It's hard to believe how much society has changed in a short period of time. I want to make it clear that I am neither pointing fingers nor wistful thinking. I just find these images idealistically pleasant. Yes, I am thankful that women today have more choices (sometimes too many), and I realize that the ideal family is often in reality dysfunctional...but I do lament our loss of innocence.


This page says:
"Please come in and see my house."
"How fresh and clean it is, " said Mother.
"I sweep and dust and wash and iron, " said Jane. "I try to be a good homemaker."
"Can you cook?" asked Mother.
"No," said Jane.
One day Tom hung over the fence and said, "I'm going to be a pilot when I grow up."
"I'm going to be a cook, cleaner, nurse, teacher and an artist," said Jane.
"You can't be so many things," said Tom.
"Oh yes I can," said Jane. "A good homemaker is all of those things."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I say, "Bring it back!" Bring back those times. I grew up in the seventies and eighties and remember well my grandparents teaching me the same values they taught my mother. My mother stayed home to raise us kids, and I'll be forever indebted to her for that. I plan on being a sign language interpreter someday, but for now, I have three teenagers who are my world. And believe me, they do appreciate it and tell me so often.
Check out my blog http://makingahappyhome.blogspot.com/index.html
it's brand new.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home