Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Traffic Court

I dragged my butt out of bed this morning and headed down to Superior Court. I had to appear before the judge for a minor traffic violation. No, it wasn't a big deal, and if you're wondering, I really am an excellent driver (I get the good driver discount off my insurance and everything). This was just a dumb oversight on my part (I tend to put paying registration on the back burner, and I've been busted for expired plates two years in a row now). Anyway, if any of you ever gets a traffic ticket, take my word for it--take the time to appear in court. My fine today was about 1/3 what I expected. If you just mail payment for the fine, you'll end up spending too much money. They're cool at court too--they'll even make payment arrangements if that's what you need.

Okay, the majority of the other attendees, however, left much to be desired. I hesitate to stereotype large groups of people (basically it's a form of prejudice), or look down on people for their grammatical skills (or lack thereof), or put a label on them because of how they dress....BUT come on people! Poor white trash makes me twitch, and God love 'em they may be the salt of the earth (I don't know and I'm trying not to judge), but ahem...

1) A mullet does not make you look younger.
2) 'took-en' and 'bought-en' are NOT words. Double negatives are only acceptable in Spanish.
3) A pink mini skirt, pink Ugg boots (or the generic), and a midriff-revealing top is NOT acceptable court attire (yes the weather is THAT nice here right now). Ditto ratty jeans, tee shirt, and baseball cap.
4) Speaking profanity in the waiting area is not too bright an idea.
5) If you're being evicted for inability to pay rent, exactly how did you get the cash to afford the items that garnered you that possesion violation? Just sayin'.

2 Comments:

Blogger becomingme said...

of late, my comments are getting me in trouble, but i press on...

egads, but i hate traffic court. i do, however, love, love, love to see all of the interesting people that come to court for whatever reason. my best court story:

a man came walking down the hall at the rate of a mallwalker. a court cop was on his tail. he wasn't really yelling, but firmly suggesting the man stop. the man did stop. he quickly turned around, pulled his penis out, and proceed to make the court cop play hot foot. i found it terribly hillarious.

the man was arrested as backup 'cuffed him from behind the puddle.

ha.ha.ha. thought i'd share. happy holidays (but only if you celebrate them)!

5:26 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Funny! (Last night I heard "Conversate" on the news! They were interviewing a guy from New Orleans. Apparently, the neighbors used to "Conversate" in his back yard.) If it makes you feel any better - Court looks the same on my coast... I appeared for a red light violation & only had to pay court costs - so I agree - if you can, show up!

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home