Friday, December 16, 2005

Quilting with Paper


I've posted previously about Naive Knitting's paper quilts, and it is still on my To-Do list to make one of these. My art is becoming more cathartic in nature, and I plan to make this out of old cards and letters I've saved over the years...from friends now estranged. This book, Paper Quilting, by Bridget Hoff, offers a few tips, but overall it is more collage in nature. I want to make a paper quilt following a traditional quilt pattern, but I do like the idea of embellishing it with trinkets and charms and memorabilia. These are wall hangings, after all--they can include a variety of techniques and objects. Posted by Picasa


The book showcases several artists' work, including the author's domino boxes and embellished houses. Though lovely and inspiring, they are not paper quilts, and that is the information I am seeking right now. Posted by Picasa


I love incorporating elements of nature into my art, and sewing leaves appeals to me. This would also work for card making, or on giftwrap. I love the idea of sewing old photographs (copies) to cards also, but that's another subject. There is a gel you can paint on leaves (available at stamping stores) that will keep them supple and therefore keep them from crumbling to future dust. Posted by Picasa


This is a nice example of a mixture of quilting, embellishment, collage, and statement. Posted by Picasa
(sorry about the white border here. I must have scanned 10 times and it was not cooperating, no matter how many times I cropped).


Using wax intrigues me. This technique would work for scrapbooking too. I have used paste wax (the type for picture frames) before, over raised glue, and that was nice too. I'm all about trying new things. Posted by Picasa


Interesting and appealing collage "quilt" of embellished luggage tags. I saw some DIY-type Christmas tags made from these inexpensive manila ones at an expensive stationary store yesterday. Be resourceful and creative with your supplies! I once read a newspaper article about a company that bought (or was given) old rusted farm equipment, then turned around and called it "garden art" and made a fortune. Go figure. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those tags are adorable - what a great idea!

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home