Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Chicano Park


Chicano Park is located within an area of San Diego called Barrio Logan. Muralists have given the Mexican-American community here a source of pride. Murals and grafitti art are painted on the underpass of the freeway. I love this photo with all its contrasts, and the man in the background with his sombrero (well, it's a straw hat, but it still looks cool). More history here, and here.  Posted by Picasa


 Posted by Picasa


 Posted by Picasa


I ran out of film before I could get a shot of this one, so this image comes from here. I am having one of the artists (Mario Torero) do a painting of Bob Marley for me (copying a banner he made that I saw at the Bob Festival several years ago). I tracked him down through the local reggae radio program. Now to just finish paying for it. Posted by Picasa

I'll post more pics of the park in the future.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, talk about extremes! First Hotel Del, then Chicano Park! I love the contrast! Have you ever been down to the Cultural Center in Tijuana--there are more fantastic murals there, including one by Pablo Picasso...

Heidi
http://absintheknits.typepad.com

5:29 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

cool.... Are they given permission to grafitti there? Locally I kid was just in court and now has to pay $12,000 for his grafitti as well as help clean grafitti....

BTW I posted a big picture today of one of my favorite quilts!

haven't heard from you in a while....

5:31 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

The park is a designated historical site. Read my links for more information.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work!

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home