Tuesday, December 20, 2005

God Bless the US Post Office

I love mail. Good old fashioned stamped letters and fun packages to open. I received a few Christmas presents in the mail this week, and though I can be patient with some things, waiting to open gifts isn't included. I didn't even wait to get home, I just tore off the wrapping right there in the post office! My aunt in Mexico sent tequila-flavored chocolates and a letter saying she hopes it intices me to come back and visit! Um, I think a visit is definitely in order again. It's a long bus trip, but it's fun to catch up with her. She's 90 years old and like the grandma of the village there. All the neighbors pop in for visits every day, and on her birthday, mariachis always throw her a huge fiesta and entertain everyone.

My friend Michelle called from Indiana last night to thank me for the gifts I sent, and I was able to in turn thank her for the box I had just received from her. I talked to her for two hours (and that was a short call because I had to be at work so early today), and I was laughing so hard I fell backward and couldn't stop. Man, I haven't done that in so long--it was wonderful. Today, I received a second box from her, literally bursting at the seams with goodies galore! I wish I had a digital camera so I could capture the wealth of this. The fun thing about Michelle is that she is queen of the deals. She always leaves the price tag on just to show the amazing sale she came across. It's our tradition. She sent me a huge Joe Boxer straw tote with an aloha print interior and embroidered palm trees on the outside. Adorable, and she found it on clearance for $1.35!!! I love it. Tons of stuff for me to mosaic with, including a broken toile plate that was in her family stuff, and lots of beads, boxes, charms, and jewelry to work with. She finds stuff, says it screams my name, and saves up enough to fill a box. Oodles of notepads and dishtowels and a cute clutch bag with embroidered cherries....it's the best. I love giving gifts, but receiving them is pretty cool too :).

3 Comments:

Blogger Billie said...

Wow, Barb, how fun! Sounds like you had a blast opening your gifts. I'm wishing you a very Merry Christmas, too.~Billie

10:09 PM  
Blogger my house is cuter than yours said...

Your Aunt sounds so cool!

1:19 PM  
Blogger LauraK said...

Wow! What a blast, Barb! Have fun with your teasures!

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home