Saturday, October 28, 2006

Towel Tote/Beach Bag

I love sewing with towels, so when I saw an idea in the August/September issue of Bust Magazine, I found the perfect way to utilize this cool Asian bath towel I found at a thrift store (brand new in the cellophane). My friend who speaks Japanese says the characters on the edge of this towel are Chinese. I think it's so beautiful. The pattern is a take on one of the 'Jordy' bags that are all over craftster.
Towel Tote

For the interior, I used a thrifted faux suede in a burgundy color. It was in pieces, so I patched it together (who's gonna know?). If I really were using this as a beach tote, nylon would be a better choice for wet swimsuits, etc.
For the pocket, I took a washcloth I bought at the Japanese store, and folded it in half. The top edge was already finished, so it makes a self-lined pocket that matches beautifully. I added a velcro closure.
Tote interior

I was looking around for other tote patterns using towels, and found quite a few.
here's a nice one by Martha Stewart.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Love this! Kind of different colors for you, no? Very cute and great use of thrifted materials!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Very beautiful print on that towel. Nice bag!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

You have to be the Craftiest Person I know - always coming up with something new and neat! Thanks for your comment on my doggy doiley - I should have known you'd like that one. I have quite a few more with puppies and dogs on; I'll have to dig them out, scan them and post them on my blog - just for you!
Gina

3:32 AM  
Blogger beki said...

That's so pretty!

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this bag!

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the bag, it would go well with one of the beach towels from Terry Rich this summer.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Teri M. said...

OMGosh... that's gorgeous and so sheek. (Ok. How do you spell that??)

p.s. I think word verification is swearing at me: cbfokkor

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home