Saturday, July 07, 2007

Sitting at the Surf Shack

I house-sit in a variety of places around San Diego county.
Sometimes I stay in million (plus) dollar homes, with lots of amenities and square footage.
But the homes I would probably choose to call my own (given the opportunity), and the ones in which I feel most comfortable, are often the one-bedroom cottages.


Let me tell you, charm and character in a home are incredibly important.
The house I'm in right now is filled with surf paraphernalia: tropical-themed paintings, huge seashells, tikis, ceramic mermaids, photos from island vacations.

I feel safe here, I'm able to sleep here.
It's charming.

I have been taking the dog to the beach every day.
The other day I was walking around Fiesta Island, and it was like being in a commercial--a fish was leaping out of the water like a skipping stone, music was playing at Sea World during one of the animal shows, two men kayaked beneath a low-flying plane, a skier did tricks behind a speed boat blasting rock music...
An ice-cream truck played a ding-a-ling version of La Cucaracha....
It was surreal.

The one part of my living at the beach in which I am out-of-place is that most residents are early to bed, early to rise folks.
Most residents surf, and that often means paddling out around dawn.

I am NOT a morning person.

I rarely go to bed before midnight, even when my alarm is set for 5 am for work.
I tend to get too little sleep, so when my days off come around, I like to sleep in late.
It's a huge luxury.
I've been like that since I was a kid, so it's weird to me to be the only house with lights on after eight. Odd.
Friday rolled around, and the neighbor started sawing, hammering, drilling...at six f'ing 52.
Six!
I was in hell.
Thank God he at least didn't turn on his radio until later in the day.
But this neighborhood is like that.
The people across the street are up on their rooftop deck breakfasting at 6:30.

That being said, I made an exception and got up early on the fourth of July to take the dog to Dog Beach.
We got there by 6:30, and I was so glad we did--the parking lot was already filling with motorhomes.
By the time we left at a quarter to seven, the adjacent beach was being dominated by tents and canopies, and parking spaces were non-existent.

I stopped at Robertos for a breakfast burrito, then a drive-thru coffee shop for a banana mocha.
Aaaaahhhh....I love this California lifestyle.
My poor car interior is no longer black, but sand.
Literally.
Oh well. Small price to pay for joy.

Later, I was able to step outside and see most of the fireworks from the pier.
I like the ones that look like sparkling waterfalls, or the ones that make a sound like sizzling bacon.
This year there were ones that cascaded like five-petaled flowers.
Lovely.
I hope you had a nice 4th too.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Trish Goodfield said...

Oh my goodness, so much good stuff to read. Checked your blog out after reading your bio in Cloth, Paper,Scissors.I've saved your page(s) in my favourites,I'll be back. I have an actual list of projects. Mine also has dates to be completed by,and dates for steps along the way. I must say though NOBODY ever sees my list. How brave are you listing yours on your blog.

Trish

8:33 AM  
Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

I can't imagine a more beautiful, peaceful time than that spent at the beach. How I envy you....

Pattie

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the trip to the beach..;)

2:52 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

I empathise with you Barb - I am also a night owl, and am usually to be found here on my computer well after midnight! Luckily I don't have to get up until about 8 am or after on most days, but I still get tired!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Banana mocha? Sounds strange but oddly good. Is it from a chain or a local coffeeplace?

5:22 PM  
Blogger sara said...

I loved this little glimpse into your life. That cottage is charming, I agree, and it sounds like you've had a lovely time there.

I am very intrigued by the banana mocha -- as, it sounds, are many other commenters...

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute little home! it must be fun to be able to take a peek into so many different kinds of houses. i would love that.

and the beach!! although i am not a morning person either, i am sure that i could be if i lived at the beach... at least i would try to be. ;)

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home