Sunday, October 21, 2007

Time for Popcorn


Last night, I finally saw the movie Pan's Labyrinth.

Wow.

No offense to Mr. Martin Scorsese, but The Departed just wasn't all that.
Certainly not deserving of the Best Picture oscar.
Pan's Labyrinth, however, was completely captivating.
I'm surprised Guillermo del Toro was not nominated for Best Director, and even more surprised this didn't win for Best Foreign Film.

I like the review in Pegasus News, "There's little doubt that del Toro is one of the great artists at work in cinema today, and here I refer not to artistry in the sense of overall workmanship (though this may also apply) but rather in the sense that what he frames in the viewfinder is so damn beautiful. His set pieces and moving tableaux are painterly, sumptuous, rich in detail and lit as if by Rembrandt's own candle master."

The film is packaged with two discs--one is the movie, and the other is featurettes of Del Toro's ideas and intentions, make-up, set design, etc.
If you haven't yet seen the movie, I highly recommend you watch the featurettes FIRST.
These give you so much interesting information about color, thoughts behind the plot, etc.
The featurettes really added to my enjoyment.

And yes, it's in Spanish with Engish subtitles.
No worries--it's really easy to follow.
One of the best films I've seen in a long time.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Although it was violent and there were parts I could hardly watch, I loved this film too. All the Christian symbolism at the end really surprised me too.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home