Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Ceramic Cafe

My friend Brandie has been suggesting that we go to a paint-your-own ceramics place.
These shops used to be everywhere, but seem to have dwindled in quantity lately.
It's a shame, because this is really a fun activity!
Perfect for all ages, from kids having a birthday party, to two old ladies just hanging out.
(uh, I was not referring to myself there).

Basically you go into this shop filled with unfired ceramics (is that what greenware is?)
Ceramic Cafe
You pay for an item (a bowl, canister, cup, etc) and paint it as you choose.
All the paints and brushes are included in the price.
What I like is the ability to linger there (there are no timed constraints),
and I'm able to catch-up with a friend while accomplishing something creative.

Brandie painted a dog on a plate for one of her beagles.
I decided to paint bumblebees on a footed bowl.
Bee Bowl
(click on images to enlarge)

I experimented with a gradation of color, along with a splashing and sponging.
I'm pleased with the result.
Bowl interior

The wings and the dots are in puff paint
Bee

I can't wait to go back!
Next time I'm going to paint a magic wand.

If you live in San Diego and want to try this location in Del Mar, make sure you stop in upstairs at the Champagne Bakery for their creme brulee.
That is one amazing treat, let me tell you!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your bumblebee bowl (perhaps you have found another calling and next you will have your own etsy for ceramics)

Love your site. Keep on bloggin'.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Love it, Barb! The bees are perfection!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Vallen said...

This is a terrific idea. Your bowl turned out beautifully. Now I want to go find a place. I know two locationsthat used to host these places. I'll go see if they are still there.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to try that. Yours turned out awesome.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Oh I love these places! Your bowl looks amazing. I made a bowl once a long time ago. :)

1:29 PM  
Blogger Beertje Zonn said...

Your footed bowlis and the bees are beautiful!
Kind regards,

Sonnja from the Netherlands

10:02 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Sadly both our pottery painting places have closed up. Your bowl turned out beautifully. THe bees are whimsical with their puffy wings.

12:32 PM  
Blogger LauraK said...

Barb, your bumblebee bowl is beautiful!

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home