Monday, October 23, 2006

Ummmmm

I was raised in Southern California, mid-middle class, mostly white suburbia. My taste in dessert, however, ventures into the, uh, white trash zone.

My favorite dessert, you ask?
Well, it's not fancy tarts or eclairs or brulee.
It's chocolate pudding in a pastry pie shell. Yep.
Not graham crust or Oreo crust...but pastry. And not the dreaded instant pudding, but the Jello brand cook and serve. The milk chocolate standard flavor. Sans whipped cream too--it just dilutes the chocolate goodness.
(cue my friend Melinda saying, "You poor dear. Pudding?!")

But pudding in a pie shell just washes me in all kinds of warm fuzzies from childhood. It's licking the pan clean, the spoon clean, and anticipating the right temperature when the pie is deemed 'done'. And forget the instructions that say to put plastic wrap atop the pie! Oh my gosh--that skin that develops is the best part! It's like the cream top on good yogurt. I practically shake with joy just thinking about it. I even had pie for breakfast this morning.

Last night I took imported Droste cocoa (over $10 bucks for that box! Holy cow), an egg, semi-sweet chocolate, and milk, and I made pudding from scratch. And I poured it into pie crust I made using Crisco's classic recipe. It was delightfully decadent. It was yum. It was made using a recipe by one of my favorite cookbook authors: Susan Purdy.

And as fantastic as it was, I still prefer the Jello. Call it childhood trumping. But it's still cool to be able to say I made pudding the hard way.
Oh, and where's the pic, you ask?
Ha! Like it would have lasted long enough to take one.

3 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

A woman I can understand! Pie for breakfast, well of course.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Barb, we must be on the same pie-wavelength this week! Last week I made 6 pies + 2 failed crusts (I entered a pie contest on Saturday and won!). Two of those were chocolate custard pies and after all of that fanciness, I also came to the conclusion that I just like Jello pudding pies (graham cracker crusts for me), unsophisticated and plebeian as they might be! Not that that's stopping me from eating the chocolate custard pie in the fridge, but it's just not as good as the J-e-l-l-o!

8:37 PM  
Blogger FinnyKnits said...

See, that I would eat and love! Jello chocolate pudding is really the best. And, darn it if it ain't cheap and easy, too. Have it for breakfast all the time.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home