Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Dig It!

My mom has a hill behind her house, then a large expanse of land adjacent to a park.
Recently, she cleared all the brush for required weed abatement (fire control), and the workers cleared all the way up to the back gate (so many blackberry bushes had taken over), to this little semi-circle.

Hmmm...

This little plot of land has a special meaning for me.
When I was a kid, I planted my first garden atop the little hill.
Now my mom has a cascading rose there.
I planted sunflowers and zinnias, and that garden is why I love zinnias still.
I decided I want to plant again, but this time on the lower area, in the cove-like setting.
It may not be much now, but ah...the possibilities!

I want to create my own little sanctuary--the kind of setting I've seen on home garden tours.
The kind of place you want to linger.

I ordered a handful of heirloom seed catalogs.
I want to be all Barbara Kingsolver and stuff (read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle).
I know for sure I want a pomegranate bush, a blueberry (there are new varieties zoned for this region), a tomatillo, an epazote (Rick Bayless influence), cilantro, other miscellaneous herbs (one can never have too many chives), and I'm not sure what else.
I know I want five-color silverbeet (Swiss Chard).

I know I want a small tree, maybe a peach, and a bench.
I know I want to mosaic some garden stones.

Right now I'm still investigating what I can plant now, and what will need to wait for Spring.
Americans have forgotten which vegetables and fruits are available in which season.
I want to get back to the basics--of eating according to the way nature intended.
It's an exciting prospect.

First step: amend the soil.
That means no chemical fertilizers, just natural planter mix and compost--everything must be organic.
I know I want to think of this space the way I would plant a small pot: use tall plants, fillers, and something cascading.

It's a living art project.

I may treat the back wall by planting something else that cascades down its face.
I want a cottage garden.
I want an eclectic mix.

Someday, in the distant future, I even want to be like my grandma (and Meresy) and harvest my own eggs.
Nanny and her hens
(click on image to enlarge)
Nanny had little banny (or is it banty? I see both names used) hens, and a rooster named Buckshot.

And just for fun: cute baseball cap, perfect for the modern gardener, that says, "Can you dig it?".

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you need to pay a visit to the Lost Gardens of Heligan: http://www.heligan.com. I was there years ago; they are like civilized forests.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

Okay, now you have done it. This is the best thing you have ever posted. It encompasses so many of the things that I think about and am interested in. Fabulous stuff.

I can't wait to see what you do with your sanctuary. I know it will be wonderful.

8:39 AM  
Blogger svelteSTUFF said...

I think that you are going to need about a dozen 'little alcoves' to do those plans justice 8-) Sounds GREAT!! If you were closer I'd love to give you all of the Chives and Garlic and Oregano you could ever possibly use!!! ... Oh, and learn from my mistake - make sure you plant at least TWO blueberries, or you won't get any fruit ;-) Keep us posted with photos!!!!!!!!! S-

4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the most peaceful gardens I've been to had a partiere of herbs with detailed labels showing use (medicinal and culinary); a path bordered by lavender on each sides which caught your skirt and released the smell; archways of old fashioned smelling roses; and a section of vegetable lines surrounded in a low box hedge. There were loads of benches as well as a lawn to just sit and look. I can't wait to see what you come up with. There's a rose called "Paul's Himalayan" which will shoot straight to the top of fir trees and give off a wonderful scent.

5:57 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Planning a garden is so much fun. I've barely put mine to bed before the seed catalogs start rolling in and I start thinking about 2008. There is so much to learn and experiment with. have fun!

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home