Thursday, November 01, 2007

Tie One On: local pride (updated)

*Note: this post is currently unfinished.
I will edit it when I have a photo of the full apron.
I wanted to post now, just to show you what I have so far.


Local Pride Apron
(click on image to enlarge)
The challenge for Tie One On was to make a regional apron--to showcase where you live.

I decided to make another apron from a floursack towel.
(I made an embroidered apron for a previous TOO, but I used a heavy duty floursack that I purchased at a quilt show for that one).

For this challenge, I just tried a light-weight towel I purchased at the grocery store.
I took a vintage hankie with a California theme, and fused it to the center of my piece--both to hold it in place and to give it strength.
The hankie is a map of the state, and is surrounded in California poppies (the state flower).
The apron is finished with vintage orange bias tape with white polka dots (why oh why does Wright no longer make patterned bias tape?).
California Apron
(click on image to enlarge)

The embroidered apron I made previously was folded in half to create large pockets.
This time, I wanted the hankie area flat so the scene could be more visible.
I cut the towel lengthwise, giving me the longest possible piece.
My idea was to make a cafe-style apron that is almost like a wrap skirt (except on my fat ass, um, it doesn't quite reach around...but I digress..).
I wanted the ties extra long so they could reach around the front and be tied there.

Initially I was going to have plain pockets on either side, but then I decided to try someting unique, and I made a horseshoe pocket from a 1920's skirt pattern that I purchased, specifically for that fun pocket with the inverted pleat.
Skirt pattern from the 20's

The pattern has only vague instructions, and I couldn't figure out the lap piece on the top of the pocket.
I ended up just finishing it in bias tape, which ties the apron together better anyway.
Because it's so large, I opted to make just one pocket.
I placed it on the left to balance the California on the right...but I'm right-handed, so in retrospect it would have made more sense to place the pocket on the other side.
Oh well, live and learn.
Hard to really see with the scanner, but here it is anyway
horseshoe pocket
(I just realized that the way I laid this on the scanner, the stitching looks cattywampus. I assure you it is quite even. Really it is!)

Here--you can see it better in black and white
horseshoe pocket (b&w to view easier)

I rushed this project, so it certainly isn't my best work, but it's cute.
The orange is so cheerful.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Can't wait to see the whole thing. Looks cute!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

When I saw the Tie One On theme, I thought of taking a California hankie and making it into an apron. Except I don't sew and don't have a Calif hankie. So I can't wait to see your apron!

4:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely idea using a towel. I haven't made any clothes since the summer. I think I've been a bit too preoccupied with making Halloween decorations and now Christmas presents. I loved your mermaid.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Billie said...

I can't wait until I see the whole apron either! I love the colors. Where do you get the Calif. hankie?

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home