Monday, October 29, 2007

What a treat!

It's hard to explain to people who don't blog, how blog writers are also blog readers.
And we read often, we post often, we support the community of bloggers.

When we visit blogs so often, sometimes daily, the voices become familar to us.
The people who write blogs we visit every day seem like friends.
Often times, they ARE.
Blog comments become emails, and emails become letters, and sooner or later you're mailing Christmas gifts and planning visits.

And I'm not kidding.

There are several women who I now call friends who I met blogging.
Not only do blog posts often inspire me creatively, add to my life experience, teach me new recipes, and start me off on new tangents...
they also add to my pool of friends.

But I digress.
When you check in daily to someone's blog, read about their private world...
you get to know them.
You get to know what their passions are, what makes their soul sing, what brings a smile to their face.
And, if you're like me (and many of you are), when you're out and about and see things in thrift shops or wherever, sometimes you pick up something because it's screaming their name.
Or maybe you make something for them because you feel motivated to do so.
Then, on a whim, a package will arrive at their doorstep to brighten their day.

I've sent packages on a whim to people I grew to know via their blog.
I too have received packages.
Some are swaps, some are 'just thinking of you', but few are like what I received today.

Susan has been lurking at my blog for quite awhile now.
She works for Nugent's Hardware and Antiques, Waterloo, New York
(2007 Small Business Of The Year Award" presented by the Chamber of Commerce).
I'll plug the business, because normally I'd plug her blog, but she has yet to post there other than to name it, Svelte Stuff (is it coincidence, Susan, that those are were your initials before you married? Yeah, I know, I should have been an investigative reporter).
Actually, check out her ebay page too.

Anyway, I went to check my mailbox today, and inside my post office box was a key.
I wasn't expecting any packages, so I had a big question mark on my mind when I pulled a very heavy box out of the locker.
I mean, it was heavy enough to have tiles inside.

It did.

She knows I like to mosaic, so she sent plain-colored tiles.
Some glossy, some opaque.
But, hello, I counted 410 one inch tiles, four 2 X 1 inch rectangles, sixteen of the 1-7/8 inch tiles, and 113 two inch squares.
Holy freaking cow.
Here's a sampling:
Tiles for mosaic

My gosh, you guys, talk about a treat (the box included a nice card with a Trick or Treat message).
Inside, were neckties she had found (and thought of me).
Each was rolled and tied with orange or black rickrack or lace. A really lovely presentation.
Also, two incredible, adorable vintage aprons.
I am so lame and don't have a digital camera, so pics of the scarves and aprons will have to wait until I get photographs in hand.

But she thought, shoot, this is a flat rate box...may as well stuff this sucker.
And, rather than syrofoam peanuts, why not vintage scarves?
She surmissed I could use the scarves as linings to homemade purses (she is absolutely right).
Note I once made an apron and used a thrifted scarf for the sash.

I'll photograph the scarves later, but I had to scan this one--isn't it pretty?
Vintage Scarf
I think Italy when I see this? Is that correct?

Knowing I love California pottery (and her knowing that means she has been reading, watching, getting to know me. She has taken the time to give with her heart, something personalized just for me. That is a gesture I appreciate more than anything), she sent this adorable cream and sugar.
Vintage California Pottery
The bottom says, El Cuervo Studio, Laguna.
I have not been able (yet) to locate any information on this studio.
The tall vertical movement reminds me of Red Wing, or some Hull, even Purinton.
I love love love cream jugs, gravy boats, sugar bowls.
I love the graceful lines, the artistic movements, the sweeps and arcs.
It is becoming apparent, though I didn't mean to start it, that I collect sugar bowls.
These pieces here are smaller than average, meaning they were either intended for individual servings, or for children.
I think these are beautiful pieces of art.
What flower do you think is represented? Is it a tree blossom?

The neckties she sent are the seeds that started this box
Novelty neckties
Men's neckties
Men's neckties

Also in the package, this placemat and matching napkin.
Look at the fabric!
Vintage placemat and napkin
On the reverse, you can see the long running stitches--evidence someone made this by hand versus machine.
I may not have the napkin folded correctly (perhaps it is intended to be rolled), and it needs a good press, but I think it's adorable.

So pics of the aprons and the scarves will be posted at a future date,
along, I hope, with a mosaic-tiled table.
And some necktie squares for the quilt that is in progress.

Thank you, Susan, so so much for your thoughtfulness and generosity.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Felicia said...

Love those ties! Yes, the blog world is truly an amazing place.

3:16 AM  
Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

Wow! What a bonanza from someone who obviously revels in your blog. The ties are to die for and everything else is just wonderful. Lucky, lucky you.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Vallen said...

What a lovely gesture and just when you can use something uplifting. Isn't comforting to know that people just care enough to make the effort. Lovely gifts.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Oh wow, what a package!!! Great ties! Your writing about the world of us bloggers hits the nail on the head. Friends in cyberspace can truly become real life friends as well.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Sharon Sews said...

What a wonderful thing for her to do for you. I agree with you on how writing and reading blogs has created new friendships - I have "met" a few people through blog comments that I knew right away we would become friends. I find the blogging community - for the most part - to be very friendly and generous.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home