Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Another update

Normally I'm not the type of person who panics.
Last night, however, faced with shifting winds, I felt it necessary to 'man the information lines', as it were.
I stayed up all night listening to radio reports to see if two fires were heading in our direction.
It was touch and go at a couple points, and my heart was pounding.

I can't express the jumble of fear when helicopters are circling, and police sirens are heard in the distance.
I insisted we pack our cars and be ready to evacuate at a moment's notice.
We grabbed a few essentials and just waited for news.

Luckily, the wind shifted to the south, and our little pocket here has been spared.
Hopefully my job will understand that I was utterly sleep deprived, and my concern was to make sure my mom was safe.
I needed to be sure this area was not going to face evacuation.
It looks to be safe now, though with blowing embers it's hard to tell.

The fires are expected to be contained by November 4, but the county has never seen this kind of devastation.

At the same time, however, there are continual reports of amazing efforts by the fire departments, and incredible coordination with evacuations and safe areas set up where people can sleep, etc.
Overall, people have really stepped up to help their neighbors, and it is a heart-warming scene.
The National Guard has been aiding the efforts, and we have seemingly learned lessons from the last series of fires, because red tape has been eased and there are fewer frustrations.

Tragedy certainly has a way of making people re-examine their priorities.
Again, thank you to all of you who expressed concern.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I can't even imagine how scary that must be.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BE SAFE! Wish the rain we are expecting here in Maine was in your area of the country. You and your mom stay safe!!!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

I didn't get a chance to check your blog yesterday -- between the tv, radio and internet, I was on fire watch too -- but I'm glad you didn't have to evacuate. Hopefully, tomorrow will be bring some relief.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooohhhh Barb.....my heart goes out to you and your friends and family- We're watching the special about the fires on tv tonight and it's beyond comprehension. Continue your vigilence and be safe- thinking of you.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Thanks for the updates. I was driving home today from Indiana and hearing the updates on the news. So sad. All that loss of life, property, and memories. I hope they can get things contained soon. Glad you're safe.

8:32 PM  
Blogger kt said...

Oh Barb, you (and your family and all the people and critters over that way) are in my thoughts--sending love and prayers.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Thanks for posting the updates. I've been thinking of you all day and I watched the hourly reports. It's just devastating. I went through one a long time ago and know how unpredictable they can be. Hopefully the wind will switch to onshore soon and cool things down. Lots of prayers are being said tonight for you and all of California.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even here on the east coast people are watching the updates constantly, so know that there are so many around the nation that are concerned for your well-being. My family keeps you in their thoughts.

Martha

4:49 AM  
Blogger Midwest Nest said...

Stay safe. Our prayers are with you.

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of you throughout this whole nightmare. Please stay safe and not wait till the last minute if you can help it.

On another note. Cleaning my mother's sewing room. TONS of lace, , rikrak, fabric, thread. Would love to share with someone who can make themselves something creative out of some. Let me know ;)

8:18 AM  
Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

I'm so glad to hear that you and your mother are still safe. Words fail. We here think of you often.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you.
Be safe.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Been there, done that. We've been warned Down Under that this coming summer is going to be a nightmare for firefighters and houseowners alike. Ken said he heard on the news that a cop shot one of the people responsible for the fires over there. Good riddance. He won't do it again.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home