Monday, October 22, 2007

Fire: update

Thank you to those of you who expressed your concern.
We need all your prayers right now.

I have not had to evacuate yet, though several of my friends, family, and clients have had to leave their homes and hope for the best.
My car is packed with some art and photos.
All the rest will have to stay.
My mom has room for a few heirlooms and three cat carriers.

We can smell the fire, and we've been told it's approaching.
It has never been this close before, and the winds keep shifting so it's hard to keep up with where it is.

I talked to friends who have evacuated, and was told the freeway on the coast was as black as night earlier in the day.
It's difficult to breathe.

This is like a war zone.

As of this moment, 250,000 people have been evacuated, and it's far from over.
All that matters is to stay safe and keep our pets safe. If we can get through tonight (without having to evacuate), hopefully the winds will lessen by Wednesday.
But tomorrow it's expected to be 100 degrees and windy--the perfect recipe for flames.
I have never experienced anything quite like this.
We're just trying to stay calm, remain grateful, and take each moment as it comes.
Thank you for your thoughts.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

I'll keep checking back to make sure you are okay. I'm sure many others are doing the same. {{{{{}}}}}

9:10 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Oh my, I just saw some pictures of the fires last night. I had heard of Malibu, but yesterday, they showed a map of the places where they're fighting the fire...
I hope you (and all of those you love and care for) are okay and remain okay.
My thoughts are with you, Barb.
Take care,
Claudia

9:41 PM  
Blogger Billie said...

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. So far we seem to be safe here, but cities around us have fires, so anything can happen overnight. Cross your fingers. Stay safe, Barb.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Felicia said...

I'm sending positive thoughts your way!

1:39 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

I have been watching the fires on tv for two days now. I can't imagine how scary this is for you. We can smell the fires all the way up in LA. I guess some of that is Malibu? Prayers for your safety.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Really hoping things are ok!! The area we used to live in has been evacuated, and I'm 99% sure looking at the map that my ex-boyfriend's parents' house in Ranch San Diego is no longer...so scary!

8:00 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Hope everything is okay. I simply cannot imagine how scary this must be....the extreme heat and crazy winds pushing that fire. You're in my thoughts.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home