Thursday, September 29, 2005

Dishtowel Apron

Here's my submission for this month's Tie One On Challenge--making an apron from a dishtowel.


This started out as one large, plain white, flour sack towel. And I do mean large--I first considered making a maxi-length apron (cool idea). But I ended up turning one edge down to form a casing, and the opposing edge up to form pockets. I embroidered three onions (see inspiration below), and added two red bias tapes--a dark splatter design tape for the ties (long enough to tie to the front), and an Italian restaurant-feel with a red check for the top edge of the pockets. I considered tape around the outer edge too, but just wanted simple and plain. I am really pleased with how this turned out. It's so useable!


Please keep in mind that I do not embroider, so all you needlework enthusiasts, please don't wrinkle your noses. I just wanted to try something new. I don't have a clue how to embroider, I just looked at a how-to book and guessed. The backside was finished also, so I guess I did okay. There are french knots, couching, and a basic back stitch. Is that what redwork is, or should I have used a different stitch? Anway, I like how fresh this looks, so that's cool.



Onion on center pocket includes couching



Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the embroidery! Wonderful!

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

8:29 PM  
Blogger kath red said...

i think you did a wonderful job. i love it. the onions are perfect.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what they all said, stunning embroidery. Really effective.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Susie Sunshine said...

Way cute! (And good nonsmelly usage of onions!)

5:02 AM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

You did a lovely job! I am so impressed you embroidered those onions with such ease. Very pretty.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful job! I love the redwork onions and the plaid binding...perfect!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did a great job! I love the plaid with the onion embroidery. Couching is one of my favorite stitches too :)

3:52 PM  
Blogger my house is cuter than yours said...

OMG! seeing the apron on the Tie One On gallery, i didn't realize the onions were embroidered! Fab job! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home