Monday, September 19, 2005

Vintage Mending Booklet

Making and Mending Booklet

I love these old homemaker booklets. This one is from the UK, about mending worn items, or utilizing the good parts of the fabric and making them into something else useable so there is no waste. Old tabelcloths to tea towels, bath towels to bath mats, etc. The booklet is not dated, but discusses "wartime clothing" so must be 1940's or older. Booklet is in wonderful shape, and has ideas that are considered "reconstructed" today.

Knickers from a Tee

Reconstructed PJs

Repairing Knickers
Repairing underwear?

Refronting Your Husband's Shirt


Wartime Dressmaking

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Balwearie said...

I love these old sewing/household/cookbooks. Who would have thought you could make a pair of knickers from an old jersey. One can only imagine that it was probably a wool jersey. Super yikes! I have to send this one to all my friends and relatives.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

I love the front cover image!

Love the concept too; I make children's coats and cloaks out of old blankets, and my boys' trousers out of chenille bedspreads. Me eldest son (11) even got into it and made himself a bag to hold all his sheet music out of one of the bedspreads. But instead of cutting it from one end, at the edge, he neatly cut out a great big rectangle right in the very centre of the bedspread.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the little bolero!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Susie Sunshine said...

I love the fat housewife on the cover. She and I could totally hang out.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

It just goes to show that recycling is not a new invention of the new millenium! The people living in the first half of the 20th century knew much more about it than we ever will; they had to because of the perpetual shortages of things due to world wars and the depression years. I still darn my husband's sock, to the utter amazement of many of my friends!

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home