Saturday, September 24, 2005

One of a Kind Objects of Desire

I had an amazing afternoon. I hope I can capture the magic for you. The day started off with being able to sleep in until nine. That in itself was awesome. I am house-sitting in a beautiful home that would feel like a vacation were it not for the fact that I rarely have time alone here. There are gardeners, a pool guy, a dog walker, and a maid who comes to the house three times per week for almost eight hours each day. The dogs wake me up between 5:30 and 6:30 wanting breakfast, then the maid arrives around 7:00am. For this night owl, uh, that is hell. Anyway, after more than two weeks I have grown to enjoy the maid's company, and have gotten much-needed practice with my rusty Spanish. More on her later. The point is that I finally had an opportunity today to be alone, to relax, to read, to let my mind wander.

Anyway, I met a friend for coffee, we went to a park and walked her two dogs, and then she took me to a shop she had just discovered, called Embellishments.

 Posted by Picasa
There is some sort of unique energy at this place. I haven't felt this kind of spark in a long time. They feature products made by local artists, including felted bags with sparkly yarn, patchwork bags with luscious fabrics, bags with velvet roses or velvet ruffles, specialty spools of ribbons from Italy...I bought this painted magnet.

It's hand-painted on flexible magnetic material. It's large: 4" by 5.5" not including the beaded fringe. Posted by Picasa
I have a soft spot for images of redheads ;-). Literature describing the store says it is located in "Leucadia'a Beachside Bohemia...for those who love beautiful and unusual things".

But check out this bag!!!!

Bag made from magazine pages Posted by Picasa
This is what you are given if you purchase a small item there. I mean, are you capturing this? I think actually gasped when I saw this--seriously, it almost knocked me off my feet. The owner takes beautiful pages from magazines and somehow glues them together so they're tight and strong and will secure your purchase. Wow. Several hundred times over, wow. What an inventive and beautiful form of recycling.

My friend had to get home, so I continued cruising Coast Highway 101, browsing cute little beach shops. It was one of those days filled with memorable moments, the type of moments that make up the finer days of our lives. Quality moments, frozen in time: driving 101 with postcard perfect coastal surf to my side, continually hitting 'replay' on Cruz by Christina Aguilera and singing with it at the top of my lungs. Now I feel relaxed, calm,.....alive.

3 Comments:

Blogger Balwearie said...

Sounds like you had a really great day! My little kitten has been getting me up at somewhere between 5:30 and 6:00am. I'm actually enjoying the peace and quiet. That shop sounds fantastic and I really like your magnet!

4:59 AM  
Blogger Billie said...

Yesterday's weather was beautiful, what a perfect day you had! I may have to venture down 101 and check out those little shops. I'm intriqued by the bag, love your magnet, too! ~Billie

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELLO! Are you holding out on me???? You've got to take me there.
debs

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home