Wednesday, October 31, 2007

More work in progress

Well, the plan was to show pics of my Tie One On apron today, but no such luck.
I have an old sewing machine that has a two-part shuttle that holds the bobbin case, and for the life of me, I cannot get that thing back in correctly.
It's driving me nuts.
And, yet again, a late entry to a challenge. Sigh...

Anyway, instead, I'll show you some more unfinished items made about the same time as the mermaid I just posted about (I believe in the following semester).
I was making a tropical-themed item (I think it was a bowl. Honestly, I've forgotten my ideas and vision now).
I started designing leaves in wax, looking at a Hawaiian shirt I had for inspiration.
Work in progress: more Wax Leaves

These aren't completely finessed yet, but you get the idea.
I have a solid pineapple also--I think I was going to wrap the leaves around someway.
Knowing me, I still have a piece of paper floating around with notes of the idea.
I sculpted a pineapple, but it turned out looking more like a grenade, so I was going to cast a real pineapple in a special mold instead.
I didn't get that far.
I think I dropped the class that semester.
I don't remember, actually--2003 is a blur because my dad died then.

More leaves, in a far more crude state.
The flower is a hibiscus, with a tiny plumeria beside it.
Actually, I'm surprised these haven't melted in all this time.
Work in progress: Wax Leaves

Ultimately, the plan is to cast these into bronze.
Bronze is really the only affordable metal to use when items are this heavy.
For jewelry, gold or silver is fine, but metal can be very expensive.

If you have an opportunity to take a sculpture class of any kind, or even a dimensional art class, I highly recommend it.
In sculpture, we made shapes in wire.
We cast objects in paper.
We used our hands to model clay or wax.
It's all so fun and so interesting.
If you live in San Diego, Grossmont College and Palomar College both have excellent sculpture courses as part of their art departments.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

Oh Barb, your work is just beautiful. This is the kind of thing I stop and look at when going to art shows. Well done! Bill's cousin does bronze castings as well. Here is his site:
http://www.pozycinskibronze.com.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home