Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Ha Ha Hee Hee to the funny farm...

I pretty much abhor cooking out of a box, especially when it comes to baking.
I really respect baking from scratch, and appreciate keeping the traditions and old recipes alive.

That being said, I love weird novelty food projects.
Especially whimsical cake decorating.
So whimsical + scratch = pretty damn great.
Jumping around finding ideas and recipes is my own sort of super quest, pilgrimage, shangrila.
Whatever.

Yeah, I know it's past Halloween, but this is just too too good not to share.

Oh my, check out the creepy cakes over at
(what a fun name) They're coming to get you, Barbara.
Not only are these amazing to look at, they also show you how-to photos (a visual tutorial, if you will), assembly, etc.

And not only that, these are fricking anatomically correct, yo.

Dude! That arm has a radius and ulna visible.
Sorry, but that so freakin' rocks.

These sisters also make more 'normal' cakes, including gingerbread houses (extremely elaborate gingerbread houses), available for your viewing pleasure over at their other site.

I found these sites via the most incredible Baking Bites, who has made some creepy stuff of her own.
I just can't stop thinking about her vampire cupcakes --
white cake and marshmallow frosting, with a center of cherry pie filling that gushed out after Mr. Dracula evidently took a bite.
She has the recipe posted.
(note her inspiration was the Vampire Bites over at Zombirella's)

Honestly I could spend hours just following yummy links around.
Let's jump from the creepy above, to a traditional treat.
Like homemade Mallomars from Cookie Baker Lynn.
If your mouth isn't watering, there's something wrong with you.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger svelteSTUFF said...

I just finished the Wilton I Course - How come they didn't teach us 'arms' and 'rats' in there? All we got were 'flowers' and 'shells'. I GOTTA make this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
S-

4:48 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

EEWWWW that arm is disgusting...how do people think up things like that? I guess the kids under ten years old would love it.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home