Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Aunt Jane of Kentucky, ca. 1900

'I've been a hard worker all my life, but 'most all my work has been the kind that "perishes with the usin'," as the Bible says. That's the discouragin' thing about a woman's work...if a woman was to see all the dishes that she had to wash before she died, piled up before her in one pile, she'd lie down and die right then and there. I've always had the name o' bein' a good housekeeper, but when I'm dead and gone there ain't anybody goin' to think o' the floors I've swept, and the tables I've scrubbed, and the old clothes I've patched, and the stockin's I've darned...But when one of my grandchildren or great-grandchildren sees one o' these quilts, they'll think about Aunt Jane, and, wherever I am then, I'll know I ain't forgotten.

I reckon everybody wants to leave somethin' behind that'll last after they're dead and gone. It don't look like it's worth while to live unless you can do that.
'

(from book of same name--an excellent read)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has me thinking of the things that I collect - old autograph books and yearbooks, to be specific. Words that aren't as deep, but still!

From 1927: "When you get married/And your man gets cross/Pick up the rolling pin/And say 'I'm Boss'"

5:59 PM  
Blogger Billie said...

Yes, it's made me think alot, too. Although, not about quilting, but photographs and stories that I will be leaving behind.

7:46 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Sounds good to me...

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here here! I agree. Hopefully the kids will smile and roll their eyes when remembering my dustbunnies later on in life, and cherish the little things I made and all the laughs!

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great name, great blog, glad to have came across it.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home