Friday, February 10, 2006

My take on the opening ceremonies

I adore the Olympics. I'll pass over football and basketball, and if I go to a baseball game you're more likely to find me in the bar. But the Olympics come around, and I am glued to the set. It's wonderment, human acheivement, inspiration, character, and goodness...all rolled up into one. It embodies a striving for peace and effort and good will to others. It is theatre, symbolism, history, and our future. Call me an idealist, but I believe.

I always enjoy the opening ceremonies, and how each host country puts its own individual spin on things. The torch lighting was a pyrotechnic extravaganza that had me in tears for its beauty. Seriously. I appreciated the cirque de soleil elements--acrobats as spiders on a magical web of peace. The sun and moon balloons were stunning...

but dancing cows?

Laura of Rick Rack Ruby also has a Project Runway Blog, and it has me noticing fashion more than I used to. Like the athelete's attire in the opening ceremonies tonight. Why were some in ski jackets, and some in suit jackets, and how is that decided? Hmmm. I LOVED the Alps dresses of the country announcement bearers tonight--billowing white skirts shaped like mountains; embellished with skiers and trees. How wonderfully creative.
I wonder how the music was selected as the countries walked in? Random shuffle of American 70's tunes? How apropos that Denmark's song was about being misunderstood. I failed to notice what was playing when the Americans marched.

Have you noticed that men involved in sports are always hotter than average? You would think that would entice me to try a few sports in order to meet someone. Nah.

I heart Bob Costas.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Louise said...

Ah yes, the Winter Olympics!!

12:35 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I heart the olympics too!

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home