Thursday, February 02, 2006

99 cent store challenge continued: the bread, and more

 
Well, the challenge also gave me the incentive to bake a couple loaves of bread (see my post about it on my other blog. I baked a bread calle Pao Doce, from a cookbook I bought on ebay last year, called The Pacifica House Hawaii Cookbook, published 1971. Though it made beautiful loaves, the recipe is only so-so, so I won't reprint it here. Basically it's a Portuguese Sweet Bread recipe that uses mashed potato in it. I love to try new recipes. I want to try this one next time. More about my submission for this challenge tomorrow... Posted by Picasa

Side dish:
Normally I would serve fresh fruit, but in trying to use as many items as possible from the 99 cent store, I chose canned fruit instead. (I forgot they had frozen stuff. Oh well.)
I was going to make a dip for the fruit (also from the cookbook), but decided it wasn't necessary. I'll share it here just for fun:
Luau Mayonaisse Dip
Thin one cup mayo with 2 Tbsp pineapple juice or syrup, and 1 tbsp marachino cherry syrup. Blend to a smooth pink color. Use as fruit or veggie dip. Some recipes say the fruit can also then be dipped in coconut and/or cheese.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Oh, Barb! So far your dinner looks like so much fun! I can't believe you baked bread, too - that's incredible! Hanging in suspense...

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had a recipe with mayonnaise in the title...and you thought it wasn't necessary? Woman, have you gone mad?

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home