Sunday, January 29, 2006

I've heard of toy guns and rockets, but this is a bit over the top

 
When I was a kid, I had a rocket-shaped bank, a machine gun-shaped water pistol, and I coveted my cousin's inflatable blimp. I never even heard of a toy sub. Much less a "real periscope, firing torpedoes" thingy. This is an ad from a Workbasket Magazine (go figure) from November, 1967. Hence the $6.98 price tag. I love the description: What thrills as they play at hunting sunken treasures in pirate waters and exploring the strange and mysterious bottom of the deep ocean floor!
I assume it was just a plastic hull that sat on your lawn and the rest was up to the imagination, but who knows. But over seven feet long?! Could it have been a pool toy? Nah. Would kids today even know what to do with something like this that doesn't have computer components? Who knows. Few ever even have the chance to discover as much. Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Shanna said...

I saw one of those at an antique shop, or something simular to that. it was made of a card board. that would be cool to have for a kids party or adults even!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved this in spite of being anti-war-toys. And Barb, following your visit, I have posted another recipe with a different name over at Food from Oz at http://oztucker.blogspot.com

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an ad from the late 1930's for The Daisy Air Rifle: "The Best Training For Every American Boy". Sometimes things are so wrong, they're right.

And for alarming television advertising, you must visit:
http://www.tvparty.com. More memories than I care to admit.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Balwearie said...

I think kids today would benefit greatly having non-computerized toys to play with. At least the ones I've seen playing with real toys seem to enjoy them. This one looks like it would have been a blast, so to speak!

5:04 AM  
Blogger my house is cuter than yours said...

That is crazy! I bet the ad is a bunch of hype and it's just a cardboard cutout with rubberbands to launch 'torpedoes' like pink rocket saw. But if I was a kid, heck even now, I would want one too!

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home