Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Tie One On: care for a cocktail?

 I love the theme for this month's Tie One On challenge--to make an apron from clothing. Amy assured me accessories were included, so my using ties was a given. I love recycled projects. Scarves would be wonderful too, and most of us have seen vintage aprons made with hankies.
 Posted by Picasa

 
I initially went into my stash to look for food-related novelty ties, but I came up with a collection of cocktails instead. I had never put ties together with a top-stitch before, so I used Rick Rack Ruby's directions. I am really pleased with how this turned out. Posted by Picasa

 Focal point is the blue Nicole Miller tie with martini glasses (also the waist band). To either side of that are Ralph Marlin ties--one with a pouring beer, and one with a splashing olive into a martini. The outside edges and sash are wine-related ties, then a beautiful Banana Republic coffee tie (think Irish Coffee, etc), and tabasco appears for my beloved Bloody Marys. Posted by Picasa

 The pocket is another tie with little martini glasses that I edged with a thin bias tape, and one corner is cinched with a Martini and Rossi cuff link that I had left over from a mosaic project. Note the top edge of the pocket says "Happy Hour". The central tie I purchased at a thrift store for $1, and the rest were all parts of grab bags from the same store. See what kind of treasure you can find! Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

This is really creative, Barb! I love that all the ties have a unifying theme (particularly since that theme is drinkin'). The cuff link adds just the perfect touch. Great job!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Brilliant, Barb - Love it! I saw heaps of ties when I was in an opshop today; if I had seen this beforehand, I might have been tempted to buy some and try making this apron!

3:42 AM  
Blogger LauraK said...

This is great, Barb!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The whole tie thing - idea and implementation - is simply 'mazing!
A wonderful idea. I do enjoy your vintage finds.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now this is my kind of apron!! Such a fabulous idea and beautiful piece of art. I love how you used the cuff link for a very cool accent!

6:52 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Wow! That is one cool apron! You are now ready to hostess a cocktail hour.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Susie Sunshine said...

I solemnly vow that the next time I get sick on martinis, I will be wearing a themed apron as coolio as this one.

Standing ovation!

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fantastic ties to begin with, and they make an even more amazing apron. What a great idea.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Sarah Jane said...

I want to do this. My husband has tons of ties he doesn't want anymore. I wish my sewing machine worked. Dang.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home