Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Shoe Tree

(sorry for the crumpled newspaper pic)
  Posted by Picasa
There's a landmark in San Diego that I have yet to see. And I'm a native. It's in Balboa Park, and it's called the Shoe Tree. This whimical wonder fascinates me. A story about this American phenomenon here. And a story from the San Diego Union-Tribune newspaper, January 7, 2006, entitled Lost soles reach for Heaven (I love that!).

This is unrelated, but in my search to see if I could find a clearer image to post than the one in the newspaper, I came across this.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gina E. said...

Over here we say "It could only happen in America!" Maybe somebody elsewhere on the planet reading this will prove me wrong. I don't think we have any Soul Trees in Oz, but there are several pairs of shoes hanging over powerlines in nearby streets. I always wonder 'what the hell were they trying to prove?'

3:39 AM  
Blogger my house is cuter than yours said...

I have never seen or heard of this before! so cool!

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! Love how that tree now has some color & in a way a new life!

I'd love to see that in person. I live in Pennsylvania and we have the worlds largest pot hole for one of our local landmarks. :(

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a shoe tree in Eureka Springs Arkansas, but they cut it down last year. It was a sad sad day!

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never seen that either and I'm at balboa park almost weekly... there is a tree in the rose garden that has a tendancy to have a number of shoes on it though.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow!...trees look great with shoes instead of leaves....

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home