Monday, January 08, 2007

Anybody in there?

This is supposed to be a craft blog?
Yeah, I know...not lately.
So I may as well continue bitching, haha.

I love conversation.
I can basically have a conversation with anyone.
Often I find myself talking to people while standing in line at the grocery store or post office...
it's nice.

I'm finding, however, either children who may have been too often coached to "not speak to strangers", or a lot as described in
Pink's "Stupid Girls".

I mean, maybe she was just nervous or something. Maybe she's only comfortable with people in her inner circle.
But did any of you see Christina Aguilera with Ryan Seacrest on New Year's Eve?
Not with as in 'with'.
Just a host and a star to watch the ball drop on air.

She came across vapid. Without passion. Empty.

I like Christina. I do.
I like her better on disk, because live she wants to scream a lot and it tends to be without reason. I like my songs with lyrics--rather than trying too hard with vibrado and all that, or
(as described on American Idol about Jennifer Hudson) having too much "gospel jaw".
But I digress.

I may try to create small talk with co-workers. Less and less these days, but on occasion I might ask what their interests are.
Here's a snippet of a recent conversation:

Me: So, what kind of things do you like to do outside work?

20-something co-worker: (blank stare)

Me: You know, do you go to school or anything?

20SCW: (answer usually in the affirmative and usually something general like business)

Me: And what else interests you?

20SCW: Um....I work out.

I can't tell you how many times I've had that conversation.
I'm with Pink.
Scary.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger silverlight said...

The twin fine arts of social conversation and small talk have definitely died. People are very illiterate and un-read in this regard.

11:42 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I hear ya - I completely blame TV - you don't have to talk to TV & what is on TV is vapid!

3:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time to print an obit for wit.

8:31 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Not with lovelies like you around, Aubrey.

For those of you in the dark, behold the light on Aubrey's blog (she's linked on my side bar)

10:38 PM  
Blogger JustMe said...

Yeah, I hear ya. That's one great thing about NYC, though. There are lots of interesting people milling about doing interesting things. However, whenever I leave the city, I quickly realize that most people are programmed: go to work...surf pointless sites on internet...go home to suburb...etc, ...over and over again.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home