Saturday, January 06, 2007

Pajama Bags

Jen just did a post about pajamas, and it got me to thinking about pajama bags.
I mean, you don't really see these anymore.

Or at least they're not as popular as they once were.
But then they (sometimes) doubled as hot water bottle holders, or clothespin bags...and we no longer need those.

I had a hand-me-down dog pajama bag, but according to old patterns I've seen on ebay and by googling, the idea has been around since at least 1910.
It seems to have been most popular around the 50's and 60's.
Either that, or those are the patterns more often available.

I tried to look up info on the history, and couldn't find anything, other than a new pattern for a ladybug design that says,
"Pajama bags are a great way to help a child start the day with a 'touch' of being organized and picking up for themselves."

Or a site selling a new poodle bag with a similar message:
"Moms love this pajama bag as much as girls do because it helps keep the bedroom tidy".

I see Soule Mama has tote bag versions for her two boys.

And Sweet Pea Designs made a doll version.

The Giving Flower made a Clifford bag.

I posted my lambie pattern from the 40's previously.

This Puppy Dog is another pattern I have.
Puppy Pajama Bag
The description says it's a pattern for a stuffed toy or a pajama case.
There is no date listed (I hate that!), but the price was only 35 cents, so it was published a while ago.

I plan to make a little boy I know a version in yellow minkee so it resembles his Doggie Duke. You guys all know that guy.

More ideas/free patterns:

Another dog version.

Ooh, super cute Bagpuss (he's a British cartoon kitty)

Also, here's a pattern for a bag made from a pillowcase.

another lady bug, but this one is a knitting pattern.

a no-sew dinosaur for kids to make.

And of course, a classic entry about the dreaded clown case from Threadbared.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

I should really consider making one to cart around my "dirty" PJs. I'm trying to remember which version I had growing up - I think it was a bear...

8:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now that you mention it, I had one of those when I was little, but darned if I can't remember what it was! I'm pretty sure it was some type of animal --a dog, maybe? Wonder whatever happened to it?

12:29 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I'm feeling left out -- I don't think I ever had a "pajama bag".

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I haven't even clicked all the links yet because I was so excited by the subject! I got a set of sheets at Target that have dogs on them (I'm a geek for anything dog related) and a matching small drawstring bag came with it. I tied it on the footboard of my bed and wondered what I could do with it. And I decided I could put my pajamas in it. Off to click the links (thanks so much for posting them!)...

7:20 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Hi Patty. Thanks for stopping by. I'm so glad you're going to take advantage of the links. I looked a long time for those!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Kris Toscanini said...

Hi! I havent checked my blog in a while and I saw that you put me on your blog. My mom and Grandma used to make PJ bags for me and now I have a daughter and I wanted to make one for her. I just did it from memory and had a great time making it. My daughter loves it too. Thank you for including me on your blog and I think PJ bags are a great idea!

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I was googling pajama cases and found your blog.
A friend gave me a very cute sleepsuit from target. It's a rabbit with the rabbit face on the hood, and soft fake fur on the outside.
I was never able to use it for my daughter, which was a real disappointment. I've had it lying aroudn thinking I might be abel to fix it (but dreading putting in another zip) when I got the bright idea of turning it into a pajama case. I'll stuff the hood and sew it closed, will do the same with the arms and legs, and round off the sleeve cuffs to look more like paws. And I am sure I'll use snaps instead of zip to avoid a nervous breakdown.
So.. that's my cheat's version. If you visit my blog in a few weeks it will probably be there.
Cheers

Cheers

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home