Sunday, January 07, 2007

I admit it: I'm an Apprentice junkie

It's somewhat ironic that I'm addicted to this show. I always have thought of myself as anti-big business, anti-corporate antics.
But I love the show.

This is what I don't get though (and I say this while knowing I am not perfectly skilled grammatically. I hope I at least have some command of the English language). I mean, these candidates are supposedly the best and the brightest. These are CEOs, Harvard alumni, attorneys...

Here are some snippets of conversation spoken by the two team leaders.
I really liked Heidi, the team leader of the winning side, until this came out of her mouth:
"someone else could have went."

Uh, English 101, Heidi. Gone versus went. Simple, really.

Then Frank, the brash, groveling team leader of the losing side:
"(he) could have gave a little more" and "if a landslide had blew me (over)".

Uh, again, remedial English sir. Given. Blown.

It's embarrassing.
Sorry, I had to mention it because it's a pet peeve.
Like when people say "I seen" when it should be "saw". That drives me nuts.

Okay, off my soapbox now....

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Don't even get me started! The worst is people who use the nominative case in objective case situations. I think people were so often corrected to say "Sally and I went to the store" in stead of "Sally and me went to the store" so now they say "Mom gave it to Sally and I" when it should be "Mom gave it to Sally and me." The trick is to take away the "Sally and" and then you can tell which is right.

But then I edit people's grammar for a living...

7:19 AM  
Blogger LauraK said...

I hate it when people pronounce the T in often.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Very Mary said...

AMEN SISTER! You're preaching to the choir!

1:51 PM  
Blogger JustMe said...

As a graphic designer, I can't tell you how many stupid grammar mistakes I've seen, and I have to correct...over and over again...ugh.

6:12 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Hi Heidi,
I'm not sure why I get returned (failure) mail on your email address, but hopefully you'll check back here.
First of all, thanks for your comment. That bugs me too. Are you a proof reader?
I think that might be interesting. It also intrigues me that libraries
have reference articles to magazines (little snippets of the articles
within each publication)...meaning someone has the job of reading magazines all day. What an interesting job that would be!
Take care,
Barb

6:58 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Nice to know there are others out there who still care about what's left of the English language. I can't help correcting both written and oral journalism; it used to drive my husband crazy, but I think I've educated him over time, as he does it himself now! An Aussie named Don Watson has written some brilliant books about the destruction of English, as he puts it. The first book is called "Death Sentence" - very appropriate play on words!

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home