Monday, December 31, 2007

Mosaic for debs

I purchased a Christopher Radko ornament for my friend debs for Christmas--a disco Santa (Santa striking a John Travolta pose ala Saturday Night Fever).
Well, I was moving it or something, and dropped it...
and I broke the toe.

Hmmm...what to do?

I decided to mosaic a rectangular box, and place charms applicable to debs around the ornament.
I figured she could use it to hold Christmas cards.

IMG_0228
(click on image to enlarge)

I had intended to just glue a few items to the corner of a metal box, but I couldn't find the right box.
I ended up choosing this terra cotta planter box, and just mosaic'ing the rim with broken purple and white plate pieces in a Notre Dame/Parisian theme.
I supplemented with some gold tiles and a few other items, then grouted it in purple.
IMG_0231

IMG_0230
Around the Santa are items that are significant to debs--a pencil because she's a professional writer, a fleur di lis because she loves that symbol, Bobby McGees buttons from our clubbing back in the day, a pig dressed as Santa (long story), European coins representing her love of travel, and miscellaneous sparkle.

Kind-of a fun, one-of-a-kind item that is no longer broken, but useful and memorable.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful idea I'm sure she'll treasure it.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Sorry it got broke but that was an ingenious, and even more sentimental, present.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I mention how much I love it???

debs

10:37 PM  
Blogger Kristina B said...

very fun - and a great idea to rework this. I made a mosaic effigy to a glue gun which I busted recently... :-)

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home