Friday, January 25, 2008

Photo Friday

Childhood photo of my grandfather
This was my mom's father.
I knew him, but not in the same way I knew her stepfather.

They didn't live close by, so he was a name on a birthday card, a photo in an album, and someone who occasionally came to visit.
Shame, really, that I didn't try to make more of a connection.
But I was young and didn't really know any better.

I vividly remember driving up to see my grandparents (my mom's biological father and his wife), and them being dumbfounded by my appearance.
I think I was in my 20's, but one year blends into the other anymore...so I'm not sure.
They just kind-of stared at me.
My mom had to explain that I looked like my dad.
I always took that to mean that I didn't take after her beauty--the dark hair and eyes, the olive skin, the perfect tiny figure.
It left me feeling inadequate, and I'm not sure I've ever gotten over it.

My mom was born in 1925, so I'm assuming this photo was taken somewhere around the turn of the century.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

This may be one of the most wonderful photos of this kind I've ever seen.
Despite your not-so-wonderful-as-you'd-like-to-remember relationship, I hope you treasure the picture.

11:10 AM  
Blogger sharon said...

The pictures are so precious.
As I look enough like my mother to be her sister, I can't fully comprehend what it must be like to look different than one's parent. It must be that we expect girls to look more like Mom and boys like Dad.
You are beautiful, just in a different way.

7:36 PM  
Blogger kt said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:49 PM  
Blogger kt said...

I agre with Sharon, you are radiant in every photo I've seen of you! Loving the Photobooth Fridays!

10:51 PM  
Blogger cynthia korzekwa said...

a link for your tie collection...
http://poppytalk.blogspot.com/2007/09/alabama-chanin.html

11:30 PM  
Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

What a beautiful face. Looks like a child I would like to know more about, sort of an intriguing face as well. Does this photo resemble him when he was older?

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs hun. I don't look like my mother either. She is small blonde and blue eyed. I am olive complexioned with dark hair and eyes. Funily enough I think her parents had a similar attitude to yours. Silly people! They themselves were dark haired like me, but I suppose I resembled my father so they were put out. LOL Time's too short to waste on worry.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I love everything from the clothes to the chair spindles to the part in his hair.

I barely knew my mom's biological mother, and remember a similar awkward meeting to yours, but I treasure the old family photos.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's just...not...sure what to make of the photographer. He's been standing still for a terribly long time and is finally starting to fidget.

Fear has crossed into curiosity - as is the case the most children.

This is a very precious thing.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home