Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Stop to smell the roses. And notice the leaves.

It's funny how my interests twist and turn down this path of life, sometimes depending on my influences, other times I just veer off here and there for fun.
Right now my interest is in gardening.
In fact, I'm even back in school, taking an Ornamental Horticulture class at a local community college.
That's just a fancy word for introduction to gardening.
Pretty cool.

My most recent purchase wasn't clothes or art supplies or kitchen goodies...
it was a rose plant.
Not any rose--I don't even like roses much.
But it's a Green Rose (I love the weird and whimsical, even in a garden setting).
I ordered it from the Antique Rose Emporium.
I'm only wanting to grow rare, unusual, and heirloom plants.

And on a crafty note, I wanted to mention a tip.
I like to add natural elements when I make cards or other items.
I used to use a preservative that I purchased at a stamping store, but I recently discovered that painting white glue onto both services works just as well!
I have a frame I covered in leaves and seed pods to commemorate an area I was living at the time (yet another item I need to pull from storage and post later).
It's like a snapshot...freezing the moment, the character, the beauty.

Colorful Leaf
This leaf was in a grocery store parking lot.
It had been stepped on, but I thought the colors so wonderful that I tried the glue experiment.
Isn't it pretty?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Pet Guilt said...

that leaf is really cool. who'da thunk white glue (Elmers?) would work for that as well...

6:11 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I'll have to try school glue to preserve maple leaf colors next fall. Last year, we laminated them but I like how yours is 3-D.

1:58 PM  
Blogger kt said...

I stopped my husband and father-in-law in a restaurant parking lot tonight to look at a great big oak leaf plastered to the pavement. I love being in the NW where there are so many different shapes.

Leaves make me happy.

By the way, I've just tapped you with a "You Make My Day" award! Play along if you want to, details on my blog.

10:46 PM  
Blogger svelteSTUFF said...

mmm... I LOVE autumn leaves! All we have right now in the NE is SNOW covered muddy piles of half rotten brown leaves performing as mulch and waiting for Spring to be raked away. Barb - I FINALLY took the plunge into Blog-Land! Check out my recent sewing endeavor 8-(

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember seeing scarlet leaves plastered against a brick house on a rainy day. That was maybe 10 years ago. Haven't seen the like since.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is white glue PVA glue?
Love the idea. I've scanned leaves into the computer before now when they've been beautiful.

I did use yacht varnish on conkers one year which preserved them for quite a while.

Before I forget, I finished the vintage bag today. Will take photos tomorrow and email you them as I'm not sure what to do with them.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It actually looks like metal jewelery. So glad to learn about the glue thing. Still cooking ideas for the purse project.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home