Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Peanut Butter Chews Recipe

Two years ago, I posted a recipe for Peanut Butter Chews.
Several people from San Diego contacted me, hoping it was the infamous recipe that used to be made by San Diego City Schools.
It isn't.
BUT...I found THE ONE!
Very exciting. I'm so proud of my ability to find just about anything on the internet.

As a side note, I was listening to a radio show the other night about how the percentage of peanut allergies has gotten to practically epidemic proportions, and how there is no way that many allergies are legit.
Very very few people actually have an acute reaction to peanuts.
Authorities seem to feel it's like hysteria.

I think that's really sad, because that's probably one of the reasons this cookie is no longer sold at the schools (that and people hyperactive about dieting too).
The radio show was interviewing a doctor, who said keeping kids away from nuts is actually counter productive--we need to be exposed to a certain amount of things to develop a tolerance.
Too, overall nuts are a really healthy snack.

PEANUT BUTTER CHEWS
This recipe makes 32 bars.

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons margarine, butter or shortening (the original recipe probably made a huge amount, hence the weird quantity)
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup rolled oats

GLAZE:
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons peanut butter
4-1/2 teaspoons very hot water

Combine butter, sugars, peanut butter, eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
Mix, creaming well.
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
Add rolled oats and mix well.
Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Mix until well blended.
Spread batter into a greased 12-by-18-inch cookie pan with sides (meaning a 'half sheet' baking pan).
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not over bake.

For the glaze:
Combine powdered sugar and peanut butter.
Gradually add hot water.
Spread glaze on warm Peanut Butter Chews.
Cut while warm. Cookies will be of a chewy consistency.
(From the San Diego Unified School District Food Services Department.
(recipe found here)

Update!: I just a posted another version of this recipe.
Find it in my October 2010 post:
http://woofnanny.blogspot.com/2010/10/san-diego-peanut-butter-chews.html

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Corinne said...

This recipe sounds so delicious. We are a peanut butter, peanut anything with peanut butter, no allergy to it - family!! Thanks.
~Corinne

10:04 AM  
Blogger Queenly Things said...

I'm so glad to read what you wrote. It has long been my contention that these allergies are as widespread as people contend. I love peanut butter and anything made with peanut butter so it makes me very happy indeed to get this recipe. Thanks

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wondered if the nut allergy was due to children being exposed to nuts too young. Here in the UK the breast cream to prevent soreness to nursing mothers was made with peanut oil so newborn babies could in theory be being exposed way before their immune systems could cope. It just wasn't around when I was growing up- we'd have maybe 1 case of asthma in the whole class and now are several.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Jamie said...

Yea! My friend and I were reminiscing about these the other day, so I decided to find the recipe. Had no idea they stopped selling them. Our children don't know what they're missing! Thanks for posting.-

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, we had these in our high schools in San Jose and my husband has been begging me to find this recipe for 25 years! I will make them and tell you if it is the same as ours but it sure sounds like them.

Thanks!

Mary in Paso Robles

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Josh said...

We'll I have never even heard of penut butter chews, but my partner swears they are the best thing ever, so I decided to look for the recipe and thanks to you Woof Nany, I'm going to give it a try....

7:43 PM  
Blogger della said...

I can't believe what i'm seeing! thank you so much for posting the recipe my name is Della and i'm 40 I went to muirland junior high in La Jolla I loved these peanut butter chews...I would save my money just to buy them at lunch if this is the recipe THESE are the BEST! thank you so much they're delicious!!!umm umm GOOD

11:37 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

You're welcome :)

8:18 AM  
Blogger Papillon said...

Oh my goodness - I was just telling someone about these things. I went to Freese Elementary, then Bell Jr. High (tells you how old I am) in San Diego and they served my beloved 'Peanut Butter Chews'. I will try this recipe tonight! Thank you for posting!

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to find this. I was talking to a friend about how great these were back in San Diego, and it would have been pretty disappointing to have used the wrong recipe. Thanks so much.

Now if only I could find the Coffee Cake recipe from Patrick Henry..

11:36 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

I found a new version of this recipe, posted here:
http://woofnanny.blogspot.com/2010/10/san-diego-peanut-butter-chews.html

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Laura said...

OMG, I'm so excited to have found this recipe. I went to Kennedy Elem, Stanley Jr. and Madison. These are so delicious. They take me back to "good times". Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I hate that they don't sell them at the schools anymore :(
I'm going to try and make them this weekend. Thanks a bunch.

1:53 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Laura (and all of you, actually), please see the link at the bottom of the post--that is a better recipe

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG... SO glad to have found this recipe!! I remember saving my money to buy a milk and a peanut butter chew from Marston Jr. High, here in San Diego! They were the bomb!! I can't wait to make these for my kids!! Thank you

12:22 AM  
Anonymous peanut butter treats said...

This recipe truly helps peanut lover because this one seems so delicious. This will definitely add to their recipe book.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These things are amazing!

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to Muirland Jr High and La Jolla High. I loved the peanut butter chews. I hope this is the one. Thanks for finding it.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home