Thursday, March 09, 2006

Recipe: Peanut Butter Chews

I got this from the mom of one of my former roommates. It's one of my favorites. Two pans seems like a lot, but it makes up the standard amount of bar cookies.

Stir together to mix, then set aside:
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

In another large bowl, cream together (make sure there are no lumps):
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup butter
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

then stir in:
1 cup peanut butter (even though I prefer natural-style peanut butter, for desserts it's better to use the standard type with shortening in it. I like extra chunky Skippy)

Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Spread into TWO ungreased 9" x 13" glass pans. Bake 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool then cut into squares. Keep covered so they don't dry out (you want them to stay chewy).

You can also add chocolate chips before baking if you want to. Maybe 6 oz per batch.
Enjoy!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. Two pans DO NOT seem like a lot.

10:40 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

those sound yummy - how did you know I was craving peanut butter!

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to be one of the few people in San Diego who knows what I am talking about when I say Peanut Butter Chews! Guess you had to have grown up in SD and went to school here. I have a similar recipe but mine includes a 1/2 cup of shredded coconut. I am going to try your recipe out. Boy do these bring back memories!

7:31 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Holy cow, anonymous--that sounds yum! Are there any other differences? I'd love to have a copy of your recipe :)
barbian7@yahoo.com

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I meet a native San Diegan to make sure they are a true blue, I say "Peanut Butter Chews" and then I know they are for real!

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TOTALLY!! I've been wanting to make these for my kids knowing they'd love them and your recipe is the bomb. I had these growing up in the San Diego City School System. All other receipes out there are balls or NOT the true Peanut Chew!! Thanks so much for posting this. I"m making them Friday!!

3:02 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Anonymous, please see my current post. I found the actual SD Schools recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but it sure looks amazing.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home