Friday, March 03, 2006

Thrifty finds

 
Payday Friday means a chance for me to feed my thrift store addiction. This is a pineapple made out of cheese! No silly, I didn't buy a pineapple, I bought the cookbook with instructions on how to make one. I can't decide if it's cool or creepy. From McCall's Cocktail-time cookbook, 1965. Posted by Picasa

 
I found a metal card file, and when I opened it, it was packed full with someone's recipes (cards, magazine clippings, and hand written). There was no price, so I found an employee, fully expecting the price would be too high. She said, "how about 50 cents?". I about lost my breath. THEN, I brought them home to discover most say "tested by home service department, the Hawaiian Electric Co, Ltd". If you read this blog at all, you already know I was doing back flips. I love all things pineapple, coconut, and banana. So this is a treasure. Posted by Picasa

 
This is from a cross-stitch booklet, dated 1985. I thought it would make a cute applique or quilt pattern. I picked up a bunch of sewing booklets, magazines, and patterns today. I went searching for more stuff for my Vintage Vixen Swap partner (I'm late in sending my stuff out). I found a killer atomic style cup and saucer for her. I'm eyeing a nearly new Fossil purse for myself. If it's still there when I get off work tomorrow, I'll buy it (Saturday is half off day). It's woven leather (I love woven stuff) with a fabric interior that looks aloha. Posted by Picasa

Note to Mary: you Dixie Doll, I couldn't help but pick up a few things for you today. Email me your address, and I'll send you a goodie bag :)

6 Comments:

Blogger elizabeth said...

what GREAT finds!!! i am so jealous over that recipe box :)

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance that there are other Charles Harper patterns in that cross-stitch booklet? I'm a big fan of his work and would love to find some of his patterns to stitch. amyholms@yahoo.com

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...cocktail hour in the '60's. I wonder what music was suggested?

Lounge music and a pineapple made of cheese. Does it get any better?

1:04 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Love the recipe box - what a find! but the cheese pineapple is GROSS! It would work for one of those parties that the Forman's hold on "That 70's Show." - One of my guilty pleasures....

Leave the cheese as cheese and the pineapple as a pineapple! (That way you can have an excuse to get a nice cheese board & cheese knives!)

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those recipes are great, and for 50 cents-the thrifting gods were smiling on you. I think that cheese is pretty terrific. You should have a tropical-theme party just to make that cheese.

6:40 AM  
Blogger my house is cuter than yours said...

woo-hoo!!!!!

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home