Tuesday, February 28, 2006

the Mapron: Necktie Collaged Pocket. For the manly man!

Tie One On, February (a man's apron)

Here's my submission to this month's Tie One On. (click on pic for a larger image). I wasn't too hip on the theme this month, seeing as I don't have a husband or son or boyfriend longing to grill for my ass (um, that's poor phrasing. I mean, no one is eagerly waiting in the wings, composing love notes, and assembling dinner). Anyway, I was napping one afternoon recently and had an ephiphany--one symbol of "man" is the necktie. And I love to sew with neckties. I decided to pull from my stash (eliminating expenses is key right now) all the ties with symbolism or male stereotypes. Tools, remote control, fishing, sports, science, transportation. I did a collage of ties for the pocket, and added a collage of labels as well. I even added a few descriptions that were on the inner side of a couple of the ties. This was fun! I used one of my vintage patterns as a foundation, but deepened the pocket so I could get the full golf scene on that one tie, plus I increased the pocket horizontally so it covered the full apron width. I used a left over tie end for the neck strap, and four narrow tie ends wrong sides together for the sash. The letters are leftover tie fabric also, fused then raw edges sealed with the same decorative stitch I prefer over basic zigzag. The base fabric is a canvas-like stripe that someone gave me. It reminds me of train engineer uniforms (or Olympic snowboarders). I may go back in and add brown bias tape. I'm not finished tweaking it yet. Ironically, I used a typically non-male thread color (a pinkish mauve), because the tone was such a perfect blend. Not that practical for a BBQ apron, but certainly a personalized one. The POPA here stands for "grandpop", that being my brother Rog (don't look at me like that! He's way older!). I'm sure it's bound to fetch a smile. I'm saving it for Christmas.

I have detail photos to post, but it will have to wait for later. Please check back, as the detail is the best part.

5 Comments:

Blogger Shanna said...

that turned out so well!!

9:37 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Cool, Last weekend, I bought a hat that was made with old neck ties - it made me think of you to browse through the booth....

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a neat idea!
good job.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Barb that is so neat! I think you ought to win the prize for the best Tie One On this month!! I love what you do with old ties. When I see them in op(thrift) shops, I itch to buy some and do something creative with them, but I restrain myself, because I know they would end up as PIGS - LMAO!!

6:38 AM  
Blogger my house is cuter than yours said...

you did such a great job onthis apron..i mean, mapron!

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home