Thursday, July 16, 2009

Butternut Squash Biscuits

I love to bake.
For me, baking is a stress release.

I tore this recipe out of a catalog of books by Countryside Magazine.
This is a Shaker recipe, and I love the idea of keeping tradition and history alive in the kitchen.
Too, I pretty much never met a biscuit I didn't love.
In fact, I'll go so far as to say I am biscuit obsessed.

This recipe is from " Seasoned with Grace", a cookbook by Eldress Bertha Lindsay.
The recipe is from Beth Lindsay's scrapbook, c. 1938

I personally think it needs more salt, but it's definitely worthy of making again and again.
See my notes in parentheses.

Shaker Raised Squash Biscuits
1 cup milk
4 Tablespoons butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (next time I'll try 1 teaspoon)
1 yeast cake, or one envelope dry yeast
4 to 5 cups flour
1-1/2 cups butternut squash, strained, or one 16-ounce can (my can from Trader Joes was 15 ounces)
2 eggs, room temperature

In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to very hot.
Mix sugar and salt in large bowl and pour in milk.
Let sugar/milk mixture cool until lukewarm.
Add yeast and 2 cups flour.
Beat at medium speed in a mixer for 2 minutes.
Add squash and eggs.
Mix well.
Continue to add flour (with wooden spoon) until you have a stiff dough; the dough should begin to leave the sides of the bowl.

Turn out onto floured board and knead 7 to 8 minutes, using additional flour on the board to prevent sticking.
(my dough never got stiff, but stayed sticky. It still turned out fine)
Put dough back in cleaned, greased bowl.
Turn dough greased side up and cover with a towel.
Let rise in a warm place until double.

Punch dough down and turn out.
Shape into biscuits.
Place in square 8" x 8" pan for soft sides' in muffin pans, or shape into cloverleaf rolls.
(I didn't understand the small pan. I had enough dough to cover a sheet pan. I used a biscuit cutter)
Let rise until double again.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven until brown, about 25 minutes (at 20 minutes, mine were too brown, so next time I'll check at 15)
Butter tops while hot.
Makes 2-1/2 to 3 dozen. (I got large rolls, about 18 or so)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Those sounds delicious. I've never made biscuits with yeast before, only with baking powder, so I look forward to trying a new recipe. I've got loads of frozen pumpkin in my freezer so am going to try them with that instead of the butternut squash. Thanks.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Jadxia said...

This is perfect! I've been looking for a recipe using yeast biscuits, b/c I'm sulfite sensitive and baking powder has sulfites in it. I'm going to try this recipe out tomorrow.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home