Monday, June 15, 2009

Pillow Repair...aka, the dog ate my pillow

Sometimes Reese and Dylan's mom asks me to stop by when she and her husband have long work days, so the boys won't be alone, and so they can play.
Recently, I walked into their house and burst out laughing--
feathers were everywhere.
Far worse than these photos captured

Reese is about the best dog on the planet, but sometimes the temptation to chew things is just too great.
He has destroyed a brand new comforter, a remote control, pillows, etc.
On this day, he chose one of the silk pillows his parents brought back from Thailand.
Oooh, not good.

I decided to repair it for them.

Before, there were two matching pillows on this couchOn the damaged pillow, one corner was completely ripped off, the fabric a shred on the floor.
I cut the pillow down below the ripped portion, and saved any scraps.
I removed the liner pillow, dumped out all the feathers, re-stitched and refilled it
I see repeating circles often in Asian designs, so I used any scraps to cover the bite marks with two sizes of circles.
I concentrated on turning the grain lines so the light would hit the circles differently than the background.
I also concentrated on balancing the size and placement of the circles and rectangles.
Now this travel souvenir still matches its partner, it's just a bit smaller
(click on images to enlarge)
pillow
pillows

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done for coming to the rescue. I'm sure they appreciated it.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Fraggle said...

That was very nice of you! Looks great :)

We have a German Shorthair Pointer at home...he is good until bored, then chews in much the same way!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Great job on the pillow. They still look like a matched set to me. Can you do the same with shoes, extension cords, magazines, belts, purses, matresses, chairs.............?

3:39 PM  
Blogger FredaB said...

You did an excellent job repairing the pillows. If you did not know what they looked like before you would never know anything happened to them.

I hope they were appreciative of all this work.

Hugs

FredaB

4:49 PM  
Blogger svelteSTUFF said...

That was SO SWEET of YOU!! Nicely done - I'm sure it was time consuming and they had BETTER appreciate it!!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

You are a very good friend to go to all that trouble! I have never left any of our dogs inside our house when we weren't there to keep an eye on them. But if people have an apartment with no back yard, I guess they have no choice.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home