Monday, October 26, 2009

What I'm working on...

scarf
My first knitted project!

I recently learned to knit, and made a swatch in garter stitch.
I ended up not having enough yarn to continue, so I switched to a bulky multi-colored yarn, and started to garter stitch a length of that.
The yarn ended up being too stiff for a scarf (and my needles too small), so I decided to re-use that yarn for a future project (probably a hat).

Then I learned how to purl, and followed the advice from Stitch 'n Bitch, and am making a ribbed scarf.
I love the yarn at Tuesday morning, but quantities are limited, so I chose three muted colors that I thought worked well together and am doing a simple stripe.

The effect is somewhat masculine, so I intend to finish with an edge stitch all around in burgundy, and embroider some flowers (also with the burgundy yarn) on the taupe.
It's fun!

The yarn is a wool/acrylic blend, so the scarf should be nice and warm.
I'm about to the half way point right now.
Then the pattern will reverse so it matches.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Congratulations, your scarf looks wonderful!

May you continue to find knitting relaxing and satisfying.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Congrat! That's a pretty complicated first project. I didn't do stripes for a year!

9:12 PM  
Anonymous carol said...

hey there! i was looking through your site and you posted a LOOOONG time ago pictures on vintage caftans (uploaded June 2008: Caftan, 1973)..can i get please a copy of the patterns so i can try and make it? i've been wanting my own caftan and this Halloween could be the perfect time for me to wear it:)

it will mean A LOT!

I LOOOOVE your site!
keep on posting:)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Carol,
Your email address doesn't come up in my comment notification, so hopefully you'll see this. All my stuff is in storage, so I don't know where that pattern is. Even if I could find it, I don't know how I'd get a copy to you in time to wear it on Sat. Did you mean just a scan of the envelope to see the shape???? I'll look, but I'm not sure I'll be successful.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home